Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sx basses and fender replacement necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christian Waiau, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
  2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I don't know about the p-bass necks, but the jazz neck at the heel from sx is a bit wider than fender.

3. Here's the scoop from my shop. I've got a brand new Warmoth Jazz neck, 3 SX necks (1 old style unfinished maple/maple SPB-62, 1 old style rosewood/maple SJB-62, 1 new style maple/maple SPB-57), 1 SX SPB-57 body and an SX SPB-62 body. The bottom line is that the Warmoth WILL fit the SX bodies. How well wil depend on the particular body, The 57 I've got has a poorly routed neck pocket and the Warmoth has the loosest fit of the two in this one. The 62 body is much better cut and fits nearly perfectly. The idea that the SX necks are wider than the Warmoths is deceiving. The problem comes from comparing an SX neck with it's rather thick poly finish to the Warmoth that comes from the factory without a finish. The difference is very small but can account for any discrepancy you might find in the fit. In fact the unfinished Warmoth and the unfinished SX maple/maple are almost exactly the same size. The Warmoth neck I've got fits the bodies without problem and if it had a finish on it would be an even better fit on the 57 body. The bottom line here is going to be the quality of the neck pocket on the SX and that's going to vary from body to body and from model line to model line. Get a good one and it will fit better, get a bad one and it won't - but even the bad one will fit well enough to be useful. I might add that if you were to use threaded steel inserts and machine bolts for the neck attachment, an enlarged neckpocket won't be near the problem it can be with simple wood screws.

There it is...go ahead and get those Warmoth orders warmed up :D

4. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

thats great to know! thanks for all the info.. i'll start making more final plans on everything now.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    guess i got a bad one :(

6. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

dude you got a jazz bass for under 150$ and its still better then MIM fenders... well.. maybe not the metal on the knobs and pot covers... but over all you know what i mean.. definatly worth that money ya know?

7. Chris, sometimes a better comparison would be "Imagine the quality of the MIM Jazz you would be getting for $150" :D

8. Do a search in this forum for the term "bedding" as in neck bedding. It's the process of filling the voids in a neck pocket with the neck in place to make 100% full contact between the surfaces. It's a gunsmith technique used to mount barrels and actions in stocks to increase accuracy.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    yeah, i read up on that a while ago for another bass i was working on, the neck couldn't hit the end of the pocket just right.

I'm keeping my SX neck and body together, most of the metal that came stock is going or already gone, I have all black hardware on the way for it.
    Gotta get the gloss poly finish off it though and put a nice stain down.
    I think either a red amber or a honey yellow.