1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX basses: any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    So I want to try a 32" scale bass. Looking around on ebay and SX jazz copies keep popping up. I've read some favorible reviews, but I wanna hear what you guys think.

2. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    Price for performance, they are very good.

3. Search the forums for tons of info.
    Use the term ESSEX, since the search tool needs more than 2-letter words.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    SX? Never heard of them! :D

Excellent cost to performance and especially great for those who want decent raw materials in an upgrade project, an inexpensive way to "try" something new (short scale, fretless, 5 string, 6 string, etc) which you can sell or upgrade later once you decide if that is for you or just a decent cheap "bar bass" you don't have to worry about getting stolen or trashed but still plays and sounds reasonably nice.

(I actually own 7 of them...and one of these days I'm gonna have to get a short scale SX to go back to short scale thing again just for grins)

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Money spent to value ratio is one of the best in the bass world. If however you are one of those who can't play on a "cheap bass" then this is not the bass for you. A great platform to upgrade as well. I still have my 2001 75 JB copy that I'm about to convert to fretless. I think I'm going to keep mine :)

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    What are they? :smug: They used to be the stuff here on Tb but no anymore..no love for the SX? :ninja:

7. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Do a search for savit260 and essex together for tons of great information and personal experiences.

8. Never heard them till TB a lot of people were saying how good they were so I bought one really great bass for the price!

9. I never realized Rondo sold medium scale basses.
    Anyway, I own a few SX basses and guitars. The basses
    I own all needed some fret work. I also needed to shim the
    necks to keep the saddles from bottoming out while
    lowering the action

10. I figured out that i like SX for stuff that Squier doesn't do...

Like if i want a straight-up P bass or a J bass, i'd probably try and pay that extra $$$ and get a Squier CV/VM...

But, for stuff they DON'T do, i love SX!

Case in point: My shortscale J/J SX Jaguar is AWESOME, and something that Squier doesn't do (though their P/J version is very nice).

So, getting one of the medium scale SX basses is exactly the kind of thing i'd look to SX for.

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The quality is really nice, and Rondo stands behind their products 100%. My friend and I recently bought 2 of the medium scale basses and they are beautifully made and sound great.

I had bought a P a while back and the pickup was not properly centered on the strings, and they took it back instantly with no questions.

Best value for the money on a new bass.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I like mine quite well.

Had it since early 2005(possibly late 04). Been modded a bit, ( Lollar pickup, fretwork and pots) and it's still going strong after countless shows and a bunch of years of hard use.

It's good enough where my back up is a 2008 Fender American Standard Precision.... I like it THAT much.

13. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
  14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    My step daughter has a 32" pbass form SX. Nice bass, fit and finish are excellent. I would say the tuners are probably the weakest point on the bass and the only thing I would feel Like I'd have to change were it my bass.

For the money though you really can't lose.

15. Bass_Invader

Bass_Invader Guest

May 17, 2012
    I personally have never owned or played one and some may label them as beginner, budget or lesser basses to their higher up counterparts but if you are looking for a nice bass that will get you by without breaking the bank my buddy who owns two SX basses swears by them.

16. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Bought this for my granddaughter last Christmas. Great bass for her size. Had a problem with a tuner right out of the box. E-mailed Rondo & without hesitation received not one but two tuners. Great customer service

17. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I just bought my first SX in the classifieds here on TB. I usually play a Lull M5. I really like the SX. The fit and finish are nice. I am not a fan of the pressed on frets, the ends are slightly sharp, but they are level enough and the action gets fairly low. Another good thing is that it is not as heavy as one might think a sub-$200 5 string bass would be.

The low B is nothing to brag about, but it is not totally useless. Great mod platform if that is what you are into also.