Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Basses: Anybody Gig With Them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote, Oct 11, 2005.

1. I see numerous threads about these basses. Now, I understand that they're inexpensive beginner basses but a lot of folks seem to think they're the best thing since sliced bread. I have played a number of them and was somewhat impressed at their bang for the buck ratio (although not blown away...I could buy a used Peavey Foundation for $100 or so and be infinitely better off, I think). If you play one in your bedroom or get together with your buddies once a week and jam in the basement, that's one thing but gigging them in the sloppy world of clubs and bars is something altogether different. I suppose you'd call me a semi-pro player or weekend warrior. I play between 60 and 150 gigs a year (depending on the band and the year), blues and the occasional classic rock jobbing gig. Even at my meager level, I can't afford problems with gear so I buy the best quality I can afford, which typically means used. For a while, I used a Squier P-Bass Special as my back-up and after a few gigs, I began having little problems like the jack loosening, bridge adjustment screws loosening up, you know...the little annoying things that made the bass a pain in the a$$ for gigging purposes; it just wasn't designed to be a gigging instrument. I got rid of it pronto. I am wondering if anybody actually does a reasonable amount of gigs with SX basses. And, no, playing at your cousin's 6th grade graduation party or your brother's bar mitzvah doesn't count as gigging with it.

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm pretty sure there are members who do some heavy gigging and professional, big time recording with SX basses.

3. SXs homesite anyone?

4. I think I'm gonna scream.

5. I was about to scream myself, that's why I posted this thread. I wanted to see what I was dealing with. what works for a pubescent bedroom rocker or a middle-aged garage band won't often work for barroom semi-pro giggers.

6. Dude, I hear ya. But that's what the megathread is for. I can't imagine you'll get too many realistic responses either way. :smug:

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You guys must think differently than I (not that there's anything wrong with that! ;) )

But IMO, seedy, ratty gigs are exactly the reason I own an SX. If it were to suddenly vanish, or if a fight should break out causing it to get smashed, or any other such incident were to occur in a "rough" place.... all I have on the line is a $150 bass.

And my Lakland and my Cirrus remain safe at home. :bassist:

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    You're coming off as pretty arrogant, so most responses you get probably won't be very friendly.

9. I know for a fact that thisNSucks gigs with his Steve Harris tribute doing rock and jazz gigs with it because he's told me as much. It seems to be holding up well and that's because I built it that way. :D

But any bass could have had the problems you mentioned. Just how would one predict or prevent a screw from loosening? Jeeze, that's half of what they're designed to do. That, in and of itself, doesn't make a "gigging" bass.

10. It wasn't intended to be arrogant, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. There's a difference between playing occasionally for fun and using an instrument for steady gigging. Even at my advanced age, I still come off as a smarta$$!

11. I imagine on the whole, they are going to remain "intact" and all that. As long as the general aspects of the instrument are sound, it CAN be gigged. And I definietly echo the sentiments of using a beater in a high-risk gig environment. No question.

BUT, I just tire easily of redundant SX threads, and that's more MY problem than anyone else's, and I apologise for being overly flip with my reply. I really should keep it to myself.

peace.

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    You are correct sir. Hambone turned my SX into the ultimate gig bass. I mean a P-bass could fit any bill but the bass is riddled with threaded steel inserts. From the strap locks to the bridge to the neck, those things wont budge. I use it mostly for my punkish metal gigs but I've been using it religiously in my college jazz ensamble. It really thumps! And the best is when people compliment me on how nice it is and then ask where they can get one. Oh and dont worry Allan, I'm gonna try and get you a nice action shot of me with it at my next gig.

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Besides, if there's one group that's rougher on their gear than any other, this is the one..... every full-grown, gigging pro or semi-pro bassist I know treats his gear like a mechanic treats his tools.....

The SX won't fall apart on you, if that's what you're asking.

14. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore

Actually it is truthful and to the point. There are alot of opinions thrown around here that may not be relevant for his purpose. By asking a pointed question he has attempted to eliminate anyone who does not have pertinent information on his request.

And for the megathread, 223 pages going back several years does not always answer everyone's questions. Some of us don't care what color pickguard will look good, we have specific questions and don't have the time to wade through all of the pages.

With regards to the initial question:

I just purchased a SJB-62 for alternate tuning and as a backup. It will be gigged for the first time in a week. For someone playing more than once a month, my initial impression would be that parts such as the bridge, pots and jack are not of a high enough quality to handle extended abuse. If it will be used as strictly a backup then it appears to be fine, as a primary I would only be comfortable with upgrades to those areas. But again this is just an initial impression and I do realize it is a budget instrument.

15. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yea here i am on another SX thread again. Yes i gig with mine even thou they have been few and i am new to the giging scene they are holding up well and i plan on only having both SXs i own at all gigs....goss i hope they hold up :p

16. I've had the 5 string Essex Jazz for 6 months now and have been gigging with it for about that long.We do about two gigs a month and it's held up fine inside,outside,in heat and cold and in smokey smelly bars.The only trouble I've had with it was some pickup squeal when getting close to my amp with my volume on the bass still up.I just potted the pickups,sheilded it and put new pots and jack in it.Thanks to the guys in the pickup forum on this site I don't get the pickup squeal anymore after waxing the pickups.I think these basses work fine for a cheap bass that you don't have to worry about in the bars and still looks and sounds like a decent Jazz.

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I probably play about 60 weekend warrior rock/pop cover gigs a year, and I've been using a 5 string SX "P" as my main bass for about 6 or 8 months now.

I installed a Roland GK pickup which I blend w/ the stock pups. That's the only upgrade, everything else is stock. I did my own setup, which was decent, but then I brought it to the NYC TB GTG :eek: and got a genuine Filakovsky setup. Thanks John! :hyper: It's got a flame maple neck, which is just stupid lucky to find on a $100 bass (floor model $100 out door w/ gigbag) and it was so cheap I don't cry when I ding it.

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've gigged with my SXs - no problems. My SX P bass fits the bill nicely, partly because I modded it up, but mainly because it was a decent bass to begin with. I'd gig with my SX J more often if it weren't so heavy. But I'd gig with either with no problems. And out of all the basses I own, the SXs get proportionately the most gig time.

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    What exactly would make a SX more prone to failure than a Fender, etc.??

just curious why you say that.

20. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Why should SX be restricted to one thread when there are just as many redundant Fender/EBMM/Warwick/Wish is ugly/"Tell me my bass is pretty" threads?