1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX Basses for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kromwarp, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Hey, has anybody out there recorded with an SX Bass? I am thinking about purchasing one, but I just want some feedback. Are they good for recording or not so much?

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Here's mine, recorded live... Played through a GK 800RB into an Ampeg 4x8... Mic'd and recorded through a signal split from the soundboard.

http://www.box.net/shared/ox11kfhrtf

Judge for yourself...

Regulate, When She Cries, Feel Like I Do, I Thought I Heard You and Sleep With the Light On are the most "bass heavy" songs...

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Check out my band's recordings. SX Jazz recorded through a Sansamp into ProTools.
    I had the option of using that or the studio's MusicMan Stingray or G&L SB-2, it beat em out for the tone I was going for.

http://www.myspace.com/delarosaga

4. davide83

davide83

Mar 11, 2009
  5. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    click the band in my sig.... welcome home was recorded direct to pro tools and not really messed with at all...

edit.. also "breaking conscience" was recorded the same way. more so to me, i hope you enjoy our songs as well

6. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for the clips
    That thing sounds killer

7. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Thanks...

I think it sounds pretty good for a $75 bass! (bought my SX used from some kid who decided he didn't want to play bass).

8. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Did you have to make any mods on it, or did you play it stock?

9. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    The bass is stock...

It's a SPJ-62. The P pickups are likely turned all the way up, and rolled off just a bit... The J pickup is likely turned up just slightly. (That's usually how I play it anyway). Tone knob is also turned up just slightly (if it's turned up all the way, it gets a little too trebbly).

The amp's tone is likely set with everything at 12 o'clock... Maybe a little more on the high and low mids.

10. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I recorded my SPJ-62 with the DI on the back of my hartke 3500. Ran it post eq and sent it through a sonic maximizer and we were good to go.

Wish I had some clips for you. It sounds pretty fat.

11. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Thats ok
    Thanks for the info though
    I got a Hartke LH500 Head, so it would probably sound pretty fat through that