1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Jan 11, 2006.

1. I was thinking of investing in one of these. Opinions? Compared to Fenders?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bah.

Theres a megathread.

That and well, IMO I'd rate it on par with a MIM Fender. I love mine, but Its gonna get sold when the Stingray copy comes out...because well, I love the looks of a stingray.

3. At first,I thought I wasted my money,but then I played around with setting on my amp,and it went from return to #1 bass.

I can't compare it to anything really,but it feels better than a Mike Dirnt that I was playing at Guitar Center.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They are very good for the money - a real value. Considering they're some of the most inexpensive basses made, I would say that it's a relatively low-risk purchase. You can also return it if it doesn't float your boat.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Dude there has to be 8 threads on them right now

Anyway I just got my SX jazz bass.. and I LOVE IT.. great sound, awesome look and feel. It is my main bass now.. believe me, you will not be disapointed.

6. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I sold my USA Fenders and pocketed the cash difference. I play a Jazz SX and a P SX. Change the pots and you are all set.
    The necks are to die for IMO

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "investing in one?"

C'mon, they're like $100 new, that not an investment.
    I had one and liked it, prefectly serviceable instrument, but not an investment in any way.
    Heckofabargaintho.

8. I've got an SJB-62.

I love the neck; better than and Fender J or P bass neck I've played.

It's modded now. Swapped out the stock pick-ups (which are pretty good) with a set of EMG-Js (which I like better). Bridge was replaced with a Gotoh 201-H. Also replaced the stock white pick guard with a black pearloid one, and replaced the stock control plate with a vintage Fender control plate.

It was a pretty good bass when it was stock; it's much better now. And I've less than $300 total in it.

9. I bought a Jazz a couple of weeks ago to use when I have to leave a bass in the car trunk for the day and not worry about it. Agree that it's a great bargain. I put in a set of Carvin humbucker pickups that I had in the drawer and the bass sounds really good. The neck is more like a P than a J but I like the feel. The frets could use a little leveling but it's playable as is for now.

Rick B.