Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Jan 11, 2006.

1. I was thinking of investing in one of these. Opinions? Compared to Fenders?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Bah.

Theres a megathread.

That and well, IMO I'd rate it on par with a MIM Fender. I love mine, but Its gonna get sold when the Stingray copy comes out...because well, I love the looks of a stingray.

3. At first,I thought I wasted my money,but then I played around with setting on my amp,and it went from return to #1 bass.

I can't compare it to anything really,but it feels better than a Mike Dirnt that I was playing at Guitar Center.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They are very good for the money - a real value. Considering they're some of the most inexpensive basses made, I would say that it's a relatively low-risk purchase. You can also return it if it doesn't float your boat.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Dude there has to be 8 threads on them right now

Anyway I just got my SX jazz bass.. and I LOVE IT.. great sound, awesome look and feel. It is my main bass now.. believe me, you will not be disapointed.

6. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I sold my USA Fenders and pocketed the cash difference. I play a Jazz SX and a P SX. Change the pots and you are all set.
    The necks are to die for IMO

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "investing in one?"

C'mon, they're like $100 new, that not an investment.
    I had one and liked it, prefectly serviceable instrument, but not an investment in any way.
    Heckofabargaintho.

8. I've got an SJB-62.

I love the neck; better than and Fender J or P bass neck I've played.

It's modded now. Swapped out the stock pick-ups (which are pretty good) with a set of EMG-Js (which I like better). Bridge was replaced with a Gotoh 201-H. Also replaced the stock white pick guard with a black pearloid one, and replaced the stock control plate with a vintage Fender control plate.

It was a pretty good bass when it was stock; it's much better now. And I've less than $300 total in it.

9. I bought a Jazz a couple of weeks ago to use when I have to leave a bass in the car trunk for the day and not worry about it. Agree that it's a great bargain. I put in a set of Carvin humbucker pickups that I had in the drawer and the bass sounds really good. The neck is more like a P than a J but I like the feel. The frets could use a little leveling but it's playable as is for now.

Rick B.