1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superhand, Sep 27, 2009.

1. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Are these any good or what? Whats the deal?

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Try searching, there is a crapload of info on them.

You have to search for 'Essex' though as the search engine only allows for 3 or more characters.

general consensus = Good for the price, but need a good setup, also some lemons.

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    A million people are going to attack you and say "Use the search button"! There are other threads on SX stuff.

To answer your question, apparently they are good for the money and also a good modding platform.

I don't mean to come off nasty to you but hang around here a while and you'll see what I'm saying. Use the search button next time.
    Welcome to Talkbass!

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Jesus approves

5. Last.

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Try the $99 Jazz version and see for yourself. If you end up being totally disappointed, someone here will likely take it off your hands.

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just did a gig last night with one of my SX Jazz 5 strings. Sounded and played great. I've stopped telling people how much they cost and the only comments I ever get on them from musicians that don't know about them is,"nice bass!' They are made of good wood with passable hardware and good sounding pickups. Don't expect Fender or Lakland quality but sound wise the SX give them a run for the money and I've had several Fenders and Laklands. Great bass for the money and good basses overall.

8. ^^^ Well said.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Usually, but not always.

10. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    They only make good sense if you live in the US tbh. Rondo music sell them crazy cheap in the US but shipping to other countries gets steep pretty quickly.

Look out for SX stuff being branded by other names.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

SX basses, are these good, what's the deal? What's the deal with these threads five a times a day?

Use the search function. There are a million SX threads on here (search for Essex).

The quick answer is they are the best bang for the buck.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I like mine.

13. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    Ive heard this several times, is there a thread about setting up basses? Im new to bass myself and other than changing the action what else does this consist of? I got a new bass out of GC and everyone seems to say when you buy from them you need to "set it up" I lowered the action but thats about all i know

14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    :rolleyes:

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    banghead.

16. bassplayeroreo

bassplayeroreo

Jun 8, 2009
    Tel Aviv
    +1000

17. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
  18. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Hey guys. I'm new to bass and have no desire to use google. Does a five string bass actually have a B string? LMAO!!!!!

19. rhapbus

rhapbus

Feb 28, 2009
    You're gonna get the general stuff from gear snobs, saying that the price makes it bad

I own one, and it's a great bass. Sure, there are gonna be some lemons. it's a cheap bass after all. but after some set up and changes, it can be made into a great bass