Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Block inlay defret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by duckbutter, Nov 1, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Anybody know if I defretted one of these…
    ( http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb75c.html )
    Would the block inlays interfere with the strings?
    I guess the work around would be to epoxy the fretboard, but not sure if my skills are up to that.

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, seeing as it's a maple board, you're in for a refinish either way. I used polyurethane and it wasn't so bad. Make sure you fill the fret slots and sand the board smooth. Then use a bunch of coats of whatever finish you want.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Sounds like you've done this to one of these before...got any pics?

Now I just have to get up the nerve to do it.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
  5. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If the blocks are real, you should be fine. There's some good information in my thread, so make sure you read that before you start. Also, the are a bunch of defretting threads here, so check those out, too. Good luck.

7. What's the attraction of a fretless with block inlays?

Serious question.

8. +1 I must agree...the ONLY inlay that is attractive on a fretless is a bonsai tree! ;)

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Not much, I just like maple necks, and I like that Ash SX with the Natural finish, and I was thinking of getting one and giving the ole howe defretting job a shot :)

But then again, I still have other projects I need to finish first...just making my "things I'd like to do" list.

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I was actually wondering if block inlays would get in the way the other night. It might look pretty ok.