Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX / Brice 6 string basses? anyone with experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Aug 23, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Just curious on peoples experience with these basses, mainly the 6 string active, 6 string Bubinga model, and the brice V2 bass.

Im planning on using this as a intro to 6 string basses, and mainly for a backup to my other basses.

Lookin mainly into a decent sound, and comfort, the pups/pre amp are all fixable in my eyes.

Thanks!
    Zac

2. According to my experience, the Brice basses are a hit or miss situation. I missed with the BHX 6 string, aweful.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a bubinga 6 string, and it is really nice for the price. Plays well, with low action, sounds good, decent construction. Looks great too. I did put a Bartolini preamp in it and it sounds better, but the original sounded good. My only complaint is the weight. If you have a strong back you should be ok...:)

4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    A v2 just arrived for me here (South Australia) .... so far it hasn't needed anything other than a tuning out of the box, and it plays great. This is my first 6-string, and though it's a bit difficult to get around the fretboard, the bass itself is well made - nice finish, attention to details, and a reasonable array of tones available from the stock electronics. I've yet to try it in a band situation (tonight tho! ;) ), but IMHO it's well worth the $$$, even taking into account the shipping to Australia.

I guess this counts as a hit! :bassist:

Mike

5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Have a V2 6-string fretlesss, and liked it enough to get the 5-string as well (hey, at these prices.....)

2 for 2.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a V6 six string fretless and I like it a lot! Highly recommended.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    thanks alot guys, any more words on them!

im really considering the V2 and the bubinga model, but im not a big fan of the blue quilt : /

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been to Rondo and seen the basses, and IMHO the transparent colored "V2" finished basses look a lot better than the HXB natural oil look finish. Just one opinion.

9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Do some TB searches., Much discussion. Bottom line, they are surprisingly good, for the money or otherwise but low cost does mean that there are some quirks (e.g. electronics controls). Overall, I'd say go for it. My entry level six string cost $1000 back in 1993 (a heartfield fretted bolt on DR6). I also own a V2 fretless and it is pretty close in terms of overall playability for only $199 in 2004 dollars!