SX/Brice/Agile Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluerskiesburnt, Apr 8, 2004.

1. sells some pretty cheap stuff, I was wondering if these guitars and basses are any good?
  2. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    The SX brands are considered to be equivalent, or even superior, to the MIM Fender instruments. For the price, they aren't beatable. For what you would spend on a Standard Presicision, you can have the same body with nearly any pup you want, a Leo Quan Badass II bridge, and new tuners.

The Agile and Brice are supposed to be even better.
  3. Here's an idea: do a search. You'll find more stuff on brice and essex than you'll ever be able to read.
  4. i really liked the agile acoustic bass that i played... do a search and you can find the whole write up i did on it
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not by me or many others on this board.

Rondos imports are decent instruments at good prices. Worth trying IMO. I'm very happy with mine.
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have the 5 string version. Fit and finish is flawless. Plays great. Mine had no issues (high frets, etc.) Considering the pickups are probably pretty cheap it sounds really good. Better than any MIM I have seen and cost less. The only drawback is that it weighs a ton!
  7. I've heard quite a few say the SX basses have better build quality than SOME MIM Fenders THEY have played. Some others say the Brice basses are completely better than some MIM Fenders. It's really all about if you had a bad or good MIM Fender and/or a bad or good SX/Brice. I know the SX I previously owned was way better than any MIM Fender Jazz I have played before.

But yes, SX/Brice instruments are damned good instruments for their price.

[edit] bluerskiesburnt, do check out this thread!

It's the Megathread for SX/Brice/Agile basses. If you are looking for certain info, just do a search within the thread for the model of the bass and don't use the word "Essex" in the search ;)
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    My friend had a Rondo and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever played. I've only heard good things about the Essex line, but I wouldn't expect to get very much, if anything, for it if you plan to resell it. Modding it will make it a better player, but its value will go up only marginally. It'd be a good choice for a beginner's bass or a beater bass though.
  9. Your friend must of had a lemon. I've had 2 Essex basses soldily built and played better than the MIM Fenders I've played. Don't judge them on one single bass that your friend or you have played.