1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX compared to Fender MIM Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Kinda leaning towards SX. I'd appreciate some pro's and cons comparing MIM's and SX. I really like the 3 tone Sunburst w/ chrome hardware, then replacing the white PG w/ a black anodized or aluminum. Ideas on pickup's for a strong beefy deeptone? And keeping it affordable(cheap):hyper:

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    My decision if I were willing to spend MIM money on a bass would be to buy the SX and put the difference into a set-up, and upgrades. But that's just me. They're great stock too though if you want to bank 200 dollars.

3. I've found the MIM standard series to be fairly hit or miss...(the deluxes I've played have all been amazing FWIW). At this point in my playing, I'd rather get 2 SXs for the cost of the (edit:used) Fender and mix/match parts to get two cosmetically awesome basses and have some cash left over to drop in a pickup or bridge here or there. Are you going for a P, PJ, or JJ or what? That will tend to factor in things like neck size, control layout, etc...which may be a deciding factor if one company offers a better control layout for what you want. The Jazz blend vs. 2 volumes comes to mind, for example.

4. Back again...you also might want to try out the Squier Vintage Modified Series basses. Every one of them that I've played has been very nice, and on average better than their MIM counterparts. They're lighter too, if that is an issue for you..and come with Duncan designed pickups and better color options (natural Jazz bass FTW), I think

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    For me it was an easy choice.

For what I would have paid for an MIM Jazz, I got an SX Jazz and a Peavey Max 112 amp.

I love fender, don't get me wrong, but the quality on this SX is as good or better than any MIM Jazz I have played.

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    SX definitly has nicer necks and better fretwork.
    I never had a problem with high frets and fret rattle on an SX.

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
  8. My experience is the exact opposite of this. Sometimes it seems to me as if all the good SX:s are sent to the US of A, while the rest of the world gets the not so good ones, sold at a higher street prices. So personally, based on having played only a few of each, I'd choose a MIM, or a Vintage Modified Squier over an SX every day of the week.

9. I'd get the SX and try it without mods first. You may be surprised at how good it plays, especially with a good setup. And you may not have to do all the mods that you expect, which will save you money in the long run.

This is coming from a guy who has both an SX (in 3TS, no less) and a MIM Jazz.

10. Again with this same thread.
    Over and over and over, no offense, but please do a search, you'll find 10,000 of this same thread.

Wanna take bets how long before someone says "the SX is every bit as good as Fender, you're just paying for the name" Why upgrade parts if it's so awesome? You're gonna end up in Fender $territory$, with diminishing returns when you wanna trade / upgrade.

Promptly add me to your ignore list now.

Mon

11. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If you like the looks of it and don't like doing your own work, it's a great deal IMO because it addresses the top four issues DIY guys tackle when they buy one of these basses.

12. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    why dont they have sunburst p's =(

13. I am very interested in these SX basses. DO they have local dealers or is everything mail order. I have checked out thier website but have some trouble navigating it.
    Are the prices reasonable?

Sorry, I just crawled out from under a rock and I'm trying to get educated on other manufacturers.

Thanks in advance!

Wantaprs

"constantly talking is not communicating"

14. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Everything comes from Rondo. You have to just get used to the website. The prices are astounding for what you get, and they can't keep many of the basses in stock. There's an SX megathread in here that has tons of info. It's usually on the first couple of pages.

15. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've played all of two SX's in my life, so I don't exactly have the broadest base of knowledge to draw on. I did get the opportunity to tweak one of those SX's all I wanted. I've also played lord knows how many MIM's.

My conclusions. I wouldn't waste my money on a SX. Most MIM's can be tweaked into acceptable playability, but of course they won't match their more expensive couterparts. Some MIM's are better than others.

It may be that I am more picky than others. Tone is completely subjective, so I'll leave that can of worms unopened.

16. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    In my opinion there is no compairing the two.

Bottom line the SX is a $170 (or so) instrument that most likely cost half that to build....built by an Asian company cranking out who knows how many other brands, thousands at a time. How come they are so cheap...easy, they use very cheap materials to build it. Do you think they take the time to properly cure the wood like Fender does...I doubt it! So many times I've read about people upgrading and modding there SX basses. If they are so good why would you have to. But honestly, for a first instrument/beginner instrument, yea they are a great value and would fit the bill fine. For the most part they are solid instruments.

Now the Fenders are more of a pro level instrument. I don't care about what anyone says about the Mexican Fenders, but I have owned 4 basses a 1 Strat over the years. NEVER EVER had any issues with them. Take the Classic 60's Jazz which is Mexican. There is not a SX that would come close to that bass.

If you get a SX, most likely down the line you will end up getting a better bass. But if you get a Fender, you most likely will end up hanging on it longer then you would a SX.

17. Pollyinsider

Pollyinsider

Jun 14, 2007
    other world
    i'm using Sx precision ,tones and neck is good for price,it's only 110 usd,my friend modified one with basslines pickups ,Now Sounds have stronger and puncy,He is a professional bass player,he tried for fun,He used this for a radio performance yepp,Sx rulezz :D
    This is my SX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    The SX is every bit as good as the Fender, you're just paying for the name.

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Cool Dog! :)

20. Pollyinsider

Pollyinsider

Jun 14, 2007
    other world

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021