1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX (essex) Bass Club part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Sep 19, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  2. that sticker was on it when i bought it lol. looked cool so i kept it

169i3d5.

3. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Nice straplocks.

4. haha yer it does the job :)

5. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have a SPJ Ash on the way. It's going to replace my Squier that has a bad neck and will be getting the upgrades that my Squier got.

6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Waitaminnit...

Isn't there already an "SX (Essex) Bass Club part 4?"

Did we open up a rift in the space/time continuum or something?

With our mighty, god-like, low-end riffage, I mean.

7. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I think that is the SX thread, not the club.

8. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    i just got a jazz copy... bought it used from a friend... i never thought this cheap things would have such a nice tone... it will be my main bass on small venues, and if i smash it some day i won't cry that much... haha :)

9. "Oh and to the guy who was recommending slowly acquiring proper fretless technique and not relying on those guide lines, may I say: guess what, I'm playing with my reading glasses on, and my nose on the lines, thank you. I'm a sucker for every possible crutch. It has something to do with needing the reading glasses in the first place: either I'm getting lazy or I'm getting sensible. I think I can put my remaining time on earth to better use than eating okra, rigorous practice, and other delights."

LOL...Yeah, might as well give it up, it's too late. While you're at it, since it's hopeless anyway, why not just start smoking cigarettes and doing dope.

10. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    "LOL...Yeah, might as well give it up, it's too late. While you're at it, since it's hopeless anyway, why not just start smoking cigarettes and doing dope"

There ya go! :bag:.

As to the people who pop in now and then out of the Ether to ask whether the Essex SX Jazz/Precision style basses are worth getting, long scale, short scale, fretted, fretless, ash, alder, maple, rosewood, deep-colored, natural, let's keep it simple:

-- "yes".

Are they as good as a Fender?

-- "There are many grades and varieties of Fenders, made in different countries, at different times. SX basses seem generally as good as Fenders under the thousand dollars mark. The debate here is whether that's one thousand list, or street price, so rest easy, my prince."

Can I use it right out of the box?

-- "It will usually arrive playable. You might want different strings, and someone (maybe you) might need to optimize the bridge and neck settings to your preferences, if you have them. The same is true of any other mass-produced instrument. Unless you get a lemon, or WANT to put on fancier parts, that's about it."

11. Expendable Bass

Expendable Bass

May 26, 2008
    Just got a wonderful fretless HXB-406 from the UPS man today. Scored it off of E-Bay, and it plays like a dream for the price.
    7b53_1.
    The picture really doesn't do it justice.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ijydtdyenmm

And a nice soundclip. I'm going to get back to playing this thing now. Like butter, it is.

12. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA

That sure is purty. I am waiting for my new to me LPB jazz body to build my 2nd jazz...this one will have a P neck and an Audere Pre, like my first, but it will have Dimarzio's instead of the stock SX pickups.

Plus I had to subscribe to the new thread....:p

13. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Just a big thanks to Kurt at Rondo. I recently had trouble with my SJB-62 and he went above and beyond his company's requirements for waranty. These guys give great service.

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Great to hear about your trouble being handled above and beyond the call...

And I'm not really pissed at Kurt, but I really thought I was safe from GAS, really....then I saw this!
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bg180tmbk.html
    :bassist::hyper::hyper::bassist:

Does GAS ever really end?:confused:

15. FenderBassist

FenderBassist In the land of drummers, the bass player is king.

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    GAS never sleeps...like Rust...

After years of playing my very heavy swamp ash Fender/clones (weighing in around 14 lbs each), I find myself developing pain in my shoulder and fretting arm after playing for more than 20 minutes....

("Buy, buy, consume, consume..." my Mantra whispers in the background).

...I read that SX precision basses are only 8 lbs each stock...

(Ego "ooohs" and "ahhhhs")

I had bought an SX fretless SPB-57 but my intonation wasn't very good...

(Mantra repeats softly, Ego looks at floor whilst twiddling thumbs)

Then I bought an SJB-62 QMD 3TS but I found that I didn't quite like the neck (yes, I'm a picky one)...

(Mantra chrishendos, Ego nods in agreement)

So, now to cure my physics-induced GAS I will buy this SX, and that SX, and....

(a moment of silence passes....Mantra and Ego look at each other, then back at me) ...and...there's also Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, Gotoh, Badass, Hipshot and other replacement part product lines to consider....

Moral of story: GAS wins, Ego applauds and all others cope :)

16. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    A cheapo but a good sounding Bass!:bassist:

DSC00179a.

17. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Just posted this in the P-bass club:
    fretless57.

My SX Fretless '57...gorgeous!
    Fender gold anodized guard + thumbrest, Gotoh bridge, and American Fender pickups. The pickup swap wasn't necessary, but extravagance is what I aim for in my souped up Fender copies :D.

I also own an HXB-406 with a Bartolini pre:

top.

18. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
    do they have to be like the ones in the pictures? or can you ask them to use a different color body or different neck (ex: black blocks instead of white block inlays) ?

19. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I have the same SX P-bass except it's fretted, and I've considered swapping the stock pickguard with something different... been thinking about a tort pickguard. I've been wondering if SX pickguards have the same amount of screwholes as Fenders do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.