SX (Essex) Body With Warmoth Neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by csala, Jul 8, 2008.

1. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I've got a Warmoth jazz neck and am considering an SX Jazz body for it. Will the neck fit perfectly or is there anything I need to be aware of? This would be a 4 string bass.

Thanks.

2. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    I installed a Warmoth J neck on an SX SPJ-62 body.

It fit fine using the pre-drilled holes. (I did have to enlarge them just a bit to match the neck screws I used.)

The only thing that took a bit of work was cutting out a slot to adjust the truss rod. I used a 1/2" drill bit and a wood chisel for that. Then I took some black model paint and painted the bare wood in my little route.

[​IMG]

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump, I am interested in this too. How is the quality of the Warmoth necks compared to the SX necks.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Huge difference. Warmoth necks are WAY better than SX... and cost way more too, but worth it to me.

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    That's what I wanted to hear haha. I am getting the maple neck/rosewood fingerboard with a satin finish. This should be the cheapest possible neck while retaining Warmoth quality. I plan to put it on without having to worry about fret leveling. I get so much fret buzz on the SX with medium action, I am play at almost 1/4" at the 12th fret to keep it under control.

I am upgrading everything in the bass, save the body, because it is actually a beautiful 3-tone sunburst. All SX electronics, pickups, pickguard, and hardware will be replaced. By the end, I hope this bass will be up to par with Fender MIA or Lakland Skyline playability and action, and be even better in tone (I am putting Antiquity IIs in, much better than stock Fenders).

I see you have used a couple of SXs. Would you say it is much easier to get lower action without fret buzzing on the Warmoth? Thanks

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021