1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX (Essex) "old headstock" necks are in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougjwray, Nov 24, 2010.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Attention, SX fans! Let the hoarding begin!

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not a 5er guy, but I'd snag one of the blocked/bound 5 string necks they have for sale

4. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Man. I should buy all of these. I absolutely hate it when people make posts like this.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You can thank me now or later! :D

(I only hope that the one that I bought this morning wasn't the one dog in the bunch.)

6. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Yeah, here's hoping.

Notice the stripe on the neck of the page image is off-center? here's hoping that's not mine.

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I wonder where these keep coming from?

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Also, the model number indicates a Jazz Bass neck, but the nut width is P-Bass material (1 5/8"). :confused:
    Well, I'll find out when it arrives. No big deal. Actually, I enjoy the mystery, as long as the thing isn't twisted, the frets aren't installed upside down, or anything. :smug:

9. thanks alot man, I wanted to take my time to make up my mind in buying an SX and buying the old neck, now I either have to rush on my decision or not buy one because the old necks will all be sold.

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Glad I could help!
    (But seriously, these things can obviously be easily resold here on TB, and jeez, they're cheap, anyway.)

11. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Their current p-basses have nut widths of 1 3/4ths (http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa3rnbk.html) so I guess its thinner than that...

12. Meh, Rondo has all their nut measurements mixed up. I have an Ursa 1 which is stated on the site as having a nut width of 1 3/4", that's wrong, it actually is standard P-bass width of 1 5/8". I've heard from other TB'ers that say the same thing. I suspect it's probably actually 1 1/2", like a regular Jazz.

13. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Even if the image seems rather ... wide?

14. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    SX necks are generally 1 5/8 for P necks and 1.5 for J necks. No matter what the measurements on the site say, they are probably one of those 2. At least the dozen or so I've seen and 8 extra P and J necks I have currently have been that way.

15. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I will take your word for it. :bassist:

16. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Kurt probably locked a bunch of them away before the change and is slowly selling them off. Then he wins twice...you buy the bass with the not so desired headstock and then you see those necks come up, bam 40 more bucks.

Personally I don't mind the new headstock that much but I still use the old ones when I can.

17. You can get cheap necks from a company called Eden anytime. Around the same price as those SX ones...Made in China stuff.

IMG00044-20101124-1235.

18. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
  19. You really can't tell from those pics.

20. Uh....tell me the width and depth and I will tell you. ;)