1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX (Essex) Pickup Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ErebusBass, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I have an SX SPJ-62. Shortly after I bought it, I gutted/rewired it. EMG Selects and new pots, jack, everything. Long story short, I put the stock pups in a different bass, and they really opened it up, so today I decided to put the stock pup's back in the SX. I'm really pleased with the P pickup. It sounds fatter and warmer than the select, but I'm pretty disappointed with the J pup. It sounds thin and in general seems to kill my tone. In addition, the highs are really harsh. Like... disgustingly harsh. I can't turn my tone know up above two or three, and I usually run it about halfway.

Has anyone else noticed these things?

Can anyone recommend a different J pup for the bridge?

2. In my experience, SX J pups are pretty think sounding. Their P pups are pretty good I agree. There are a lot of J pups you could try. A SD 1/4 pounder would be one of more common choices.

3. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I have an SX SJB-62 (which I just noticed is about $20 cheaper than when I bought mine. Like you, I gutted the electronics, and replaced everything. Instead of EMG's tho, I put in DiMarzio Js--which sound great. You might try a J in the bridge position. It's a side-by-side humbucker, and fatter than a standard Jazz pup when in series mode. If you install a switch, you can also put it in parallel for more of a traditional jazz-bridge sound. Not a bad option for around $55.