1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX(Essex) SX SJB-62 BK OR SX(Essex) SJB-57 VYW Vintage Yellow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vtang, Apr 9, 2009.

1. SX(Essex) SX SJB-62 BK

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. SX(Essex) SJB- 57 VYW Vintage Yellow

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. I've heard good things about SX(Essex) basses and I think it's about time I tried one. The problem is I can't decide on which one I should get.

I have 2 choices:
    SX(Essex) SX SJB-62 BK
    sjb62bk1.
    Link:http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62bk.html

OR

SX SJB-57 VYW Vintage Yellow
    sjb57vyw1.
    Link:http://www.rondomusic.com/product1361.html

What kind of tones would these provide and how are they different from each other?

Also, which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I just voted yellow based on looks

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Don't go yellow. It's about the shade of lemon custard.

4. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I saw it and must agree with your assessment.

Go black! You can see yourself on both sides :)

I've never regretted getting a jet-black bass when in doubt in Re color. And w/SX being bargain-basement and all, you're more likely to end up with sharp-looking finish when you go with the simpler black.

But, then, my 'ray's jet-black, my 'wick's charcoal.... My next good bass (like the other two are good, heck yeah) will be blue or purple.

5. I like the way the yellow looks with the maple board. It is really classy.

6. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Dude, I'm extremely partial to maple boards, I'm with you on that: It adds a little extra zing to my insanely stinging-zinging Stingray.

Uh, huh huh: Does the black SX have a maple board? I know a few on their site do.

Dig, though: That vintage look you're talking 'bout is definitely there, and classy it is, I agree.

My only worry with SX is QC: With lighter finishes, blems are so much more visible.

7. BOTH!

8. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    That would go well with those bananas!

9. Perhaps. Nothing goes with Maki's ugly-arss face, however. :ninja:

10. Did you take a look at the sunburst and blue models of the basses you listed? They look mighty fine with the maple boards.

11. The most difficult color and finish to get right because flaws show up so easily is gloss black. But don't worry, I have two black SXs and they're top notch.

12. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    Then Maki (uh?) needs to get both, like Honk'n advises.

The black one can be used to cover his/her/its face. That would be an original use for a bass, I reckon.

Darn, lookin' @ the pics, if'n I had to choose one only, I'd go for the yeller one, what with its maple board.

Someone please vote yeller for me. I already threw down black. Rosewood...most basses have THAT board. YELLER.

13. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    USA
    I had no clue (obviously). This was educational: Thank you! :hyper:

14. Yeah, they are pretty nice but not really what I'm looking for at the moment. I want a black or white bass :p.

Oh I just found it! I was searching for one but didn't see it yesterday. Looks sweet, I think I'll get this one.
    SX SJB-57 BK:
    sjb57bk1.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the $89.95 basses and the $119.95 basses?

15. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    None. Every now and again Kurt will drop the price to move slow moving stock if he has more coming in. What this means is that this time, the black basses were slow sellers. I have gotten 2 VWH, one LPB and a black bass all at the $99 sell out price, so I'm thinkin' bassists are just like fashionistas, different colors come into and go out of vogue each year! ;)

Nevertheless, my baby is a VYW SJB57 with yellow blocks on a maple neck (of course I replaced the white guard with a tort one)! And I'm kinda surprised that the blacks sold slowly, because I believe that more bassists with Jazzes have a black one than a VWH or VYW one. Which is why I got mine, I like being different! :cool:

16. Wise choice. I like the extra zing maple fetboards have, black goes with any color outfit you wear, and it looks just like my 74 Fender Jazz!

17. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I like my cars white or silver and my basses SUNBURST with TORTOISE or BLACK pickguards. They way they are supposed to be.

Or maybe LPB with matching headstock...hmm.

18. Yellow.

I'm an exotic fingerboard wood guy, but given the choice of Maple and Rosewood, i always tend to prefer Maple for both tone and looks.
    But OTOH, the vintage tint i have seen on most SX's is too orange and unnatural looking to my eyes.

Either way, i vote yellow/Maple

19. toshiro94

toshiro94

Apr 10, 2009