Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX/Fender project bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 1, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've had this Fender MIM neck and body laying around for a couple of months now, with a set of Basslines SJB-3 pickups. I found this new SX Jazz copy on Rondo yesterday that looks like a 62' reissue in sunburst, tortoise shell, and rosewood with chrome covers. I ordered it for the heck of it, and after awhile I got to thinking it'd be nice to make it match my Fender P-. So my idea basically involves installing the Fender neck on the SX and installing the SJB-3 pickups with a new set of knobs, and removing the bridge cover. Does anyone know if this would work? The neck is what I'm worried about. Everyone that has not had experience with SX is telling me no, but people who own/ed SX basses insist it will fit. If it doesn,t is there any work to the body or neck I could do to make it fit, such as sanding, sawing, drilling, etc? I'm determined to make this work out for me.

~Patrick

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I know I was one of the ones telling you it wouldn't work (even though I don't own one).

I got my info from a thread awhile ago where someone had tried it. If the neck pocket is too small you could work it to make it fit but I think the neck pocket was too big meaning it would leave big gaps on the both sides of the neck.

Try going though the monstrous Essex Bass megathread because there is probably some info in there. I know for a fact that awhile back someone tried it and it didn't work but what I don't know is if it has changed since then or if you would be able to correct the problem and make it work.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The SX jazzes were 34.5" scale, so a fender neck wouldn't work. The new one is 34", so it's a possibility.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    So there is hope after all?

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    S-U-C-C-E-S-S thats the way you spell success

The Fender neck fits with a few exceptions. There is alittle space in the inner pocket, and SX's screw holes are slightly wider than the Fenders, but its on, and it seems fair solid enough.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    The incompatible neck issue seems like a nasty rumour. I mounted a Warmoth Jazz neck on an SX PB62 and it fit beautifully. It looks like you had a similar experience with a Fender neck (which are supposed to be the same as Warmoth necks or vice versa).

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah. I think Will is right. It is because of the older SX basses has 34.5 scales. The franken bass is currently in the shop, having a proper setup, and a Basslines pickups installed.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Oh yeah! You've taken one for the team. Time for me to order one sometime in the future.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I had the opposite experience from you. I have an SX SPB-62 and wanted to put the neck from my MIM jazz on it because I prefer the Jazz size, but it was too big for the neck pocket.

I think different models, and even different runs of the same model, are not consistant, some may be the same as Fender and some may not. I wouldn't advise someone to buy an SX with the intent to install a Fender neck for that reason, because you just don't know until you get it if it will be compatible.

10. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've got an SX jazz neck, and it was way loose in the pocket of an MIM p-bass that I compared it with. I've also got a no-name jazz body, and the SX neck is also very loose in the pocket.

Glenn D.