1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX/Fender Upgrades for 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WhiskeyMan13, Apr 9, 2009.

1. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    So I'm about to start a new job (so funds will be available), and while I recently got a MIM P bass to compliment my J, I've already contracted GAS for a 5-string J-style fretless. This will complete my desired J-P-5 string fretless trifecta that I have envisioned! (translation: I will eventually own 20 basses).

Anyway, I've read posts here regarding SX basses and their surprising quality/low price ratio. How customizable are they? Could I fit a Fender J-V neck on to an SX body? what about tuners? (for aesthics more than anything else). It would be really fun to get a $120 bass and hotrod it over time into something truly unique and my own.

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I'm thinking the answer is no - a 5-string Fender style neck will most likely not fit on an SX body. I love SX basses - but hate the fact that they cram 5-strings onto a 4-string neck. I've waited almost 5 years & counting for that situation to change, but unfortunately it hasn't. That said, I don't believe the heel of a typical 5-string Fender would fit in the heel space of an SX body.

On that note too - the pickups on the 5-string SX's are literally 4-string pickups crammed with one extra set of extra poles - like they do with the 5th string on the 4-string neck. You may have a difficult time finding a set of 5-string pickups on the market that will work without possibly widening one (or both) of the pickup routes. Some fit, I believe the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups do - you may want check their measurements though. You may really dig the stock pickups though - I did & I would mostly likely keep them stock if I did purchase another SX in the future. Still in all, I've really been missing that SX I used to have. I may have to bite the bullet & order a 5-string (regardless of the narrow spacing) & learn to deal with it. Or perhaps try a different bridge to gain another mm or two on the string spacing. Some old photos that are making me GAS really hard for my old SX (or a new one :D):

July162005-EssexJazzBass002.
    July162005-EssexJazzBass008.
    July162005-EssexJazzBass004.
    July162005-EssexJazzBass003.