SX "fretless" basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SX lover, Sep 1, 2009.

1. SX lover

SX lover

Jun 14, 2009
    Ok gang,im thinking of adding a SX "fretless" P-bass to my line up. All you SX fretless owners,let me hear your "pros&cons" about this bass. Thanks.;)

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Pros- Cheap.
    Cons- Cheap.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I finally took the fretless leap a few years back, decided to go with SX in case I sucked at it. I love mine.
    fretlesssx.jpg

4. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    I play my stock (except for a Japanese Fender Bridge) SX fretless Jazz a whole lot more than I play my de-fretted Fender Elite II and my fretless Pedulla, if that says anything.

The only complaint out of the box was sharp fretboard edges... I ran the shaft of a screwdriver along it a few times and it was all fixed. :)

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Why're you putting fretless into parentheses? They're really fretless, ya know. :smug:

Anyway, I like mine, it's not perfect but it sounds great and plays decent (although I modded it because the original pickup didn't work for me). The hardware and the woods seem pretty damn decent, though.

6. It sounds like if I ever decide to try a fretless SX would be the way to go. I doubt that will happen any time soon, though.

7. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    A few months ago I picked up one of the "LTD" fretless with a maple board and Ash body.

Really...just a terrible instrument. The fretboard actually rose and dropped between the fretmarkers; it had all the makings of a fretboard that had been fretted and then someone leaned into a sander with it.

Just a terrible instrument......it was back in the box and out the door back to them within hours of it being delivered.

8. I bet they didn't give you alotta hassle about returning it though!

9. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    No, they didn't...and they never have.

However I've purchased four basses from Rondo. Two of them were fretless and both of those went back shortly after.

The incident I mentioned was an egregious case of getting an instrument that a blind man could have seen an issue with at 50 yards out through pea soup-thick fog on a moonless night.

No, there was no hassle. And as I said, I've owned two others that are fine instruments.

However the fretless was something that was so far past bad that I feel it should be mentioned. Rondo gets alot of good press around here and I personally feel that it's very deserved. However there's always going to be a flipside and buyers should know about it as well.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Best $139 fretless out there

G

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I don't have the P, but I recently got the J fretless. I think the SX's would be decent for figuring out if fretless is for you.
    My J has the usual SX flaws/features, but nothing so bad that you couldn't get a feel for fretless from it.

I'd like to hear from someone w/ a maple-board f'less P to see what they think of it.

12. stix_clgi

stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    I recently purchased a fretless J bass from SX. I guess I got one of the better units because I looked all over this bass, from head to tail, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. My only complaint is that the string entry holes on the bridge were too small for the Regular/Light D'Addario Flatwounds I wanted to install. The neck was as straight as a rod, and there weren't any blemishes or nicks on the body. The tuners are a bit stiff too, but I mean c'mon, it's a $109 bass that sounds/plays like it costs more!

My two cents

13. SX lover

SX lover

Jun 14, 2009
    Keep the comment commin,fellas...im "leaning" towards it! I have the SX blond(fretted SX Jazz neck,with the black big-block inlays)P-bass. I must have got a good one,cause the neck is "arrow" straight,frets are good,nut is kool...even the pups sound decent(lol!) I put Roto's "Funkmasters" on her,and replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh 201...and WOW! The "pop-slap-thumping" is funk city! There is "good&bad" in EVERYTHING that man makes...no matter if you pay .10 or $10,000.00 for it. I bet there's plenty of bassist on here that has purchased "high-end" basses...only to find out that they were "slapped" together by the likes of a "chimpanzee"(and sounded like it too!) My uncle worked for FORD for 36 years,and he always warned famly and friends..."Never by buy a FORD car that was built at my plant on a "friday or monday".(Workers are quick to leave for the weekend...and dont want to be there on a monday. LOL!) It's the SAME for everything else,that was made in an "asslembly-line" type factory. It's all "hit or miss"(double that,)when you buy online...

14. Photoman1969

Photoman1969

Jun 15, 2009
    Texas
    It's $100. I can't imagine having too much of a mental debate over the decision.

You can always sell it for $50, get half your money back and consider it a rental. ;)

15. SX lover

SX lover

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm going to give the SX "fretless" P-bass(4-string)a try. I have Galveston fretless(4-string)bass(it's a decent fretless bass with an "ebanol" fretboard.) I wanted fretless bass with a wood fretboard.

16. SX lover

SX lover

Jun 14, 2009
    So Stix...what strings did you end up putting on your SX fretless J-bass??

17. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    best $90 I ever spent. It's solid and has plenty of thump.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    /wink wink

But seriously, for the budget conscious SX makes some of the best basses available

19. They "seem" like a "good deal" I think for the money you can't "lose". Like many people have stated before,if you don't "like it" you can send it back to "rondo music"

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Once again a jimi bass!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021