Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX fretless..do they exist?...are they any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Just wondering if SX makes a fretless and if so are they any good? I want a fretless friend for my MIA Fender JJ deluxe , never had a fretless so I thought Id buy a cheapie and test it out.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  3. i think tb member Figjam used to own a fretless sx

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmm i was just coming in here to post about that
    I had a fretless SX p bass. It was pretty good. I think teh fretboard had a dead spot around the 5th fret, common to those necks. That bothered me bc it would disrupt my slides so i basically said poo to that bass. Tried making it a fretted but the replafement neck had a suck fretjob so i sold it.

If it wasnt for the one dead spot, that bass kicked booty. Sounded great.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I own a fretless P-style SX and had this same thought. I've never played a fretless so I thought I'd get a cheapie just to try and so far I am blown away with the quality vs. price comparison. Sure it's not the best bass I've ever played, but for under $200 it is far and away the best $130 bucks I've ever spent.
    mine has one or two dead or uneven spots but they honestly don't bother me that much, i hardly ever notice them.

this is the one I have....
    [​IMG]

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've been gasing for one of those. I think roundwounds on a maple fretboard would be SWEET.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm really happy with everything on mine.....the body, bridge, pickups, etc. The fretboard is about the only small complaint I have.

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I have the 5 string fretless jazz bass. I really like it a lot. I got a set up and stuff like that and it sounds amazing. I really like this bass a lot. I don't think you'll find anything better than it at all for $130. I think its a great bass for the money.

9. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I have sx fretless but it used to be fretted :)

And now it sounds good i really like it but i thinmk it needs some pickups only.