Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX fretless jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TreeChild, Feb 7, 2006.

1. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    anybody have any experience with these instruments? i was thinking about getting one and maybe replacing all of the electronic components.

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    ive got one, and its ok. The electronics are deff. crap. The pickups not horrible. but it lacks sustain.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I own one aswell and it is for sure a good bass to upgrade the electronics on. If I were you though id also upgrade the tuners and bridge because the hardware on these basses is also crap. My 5 string fretless couldn't stay in tune to save its life. Feel free to ask anymore questions about SX's and also check out the Megathread on them. TONS of helpful information there.

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I picked mine up second hand for about $100, so I don't know if there were any mods put into it, but I think the bass is very playable as long as you have a decent pair of strings and the correct action. Then again, they are known to be hit and miss like that.

5. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I have a Rogue Fretless as well. I've seen a lot of negative comments on them (I got it because I didn't want to spend beaucoup bucks on a fretless and find that I hated it). Anyway, I was thinking of swapping out some of the hardware eventually. what kind of upgrades did you do to yours?

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    With all the money and time you'll spent on the SX, you might as well just get the real thing. There are a fair number of used Fenders on eBay, or pick up a new MIM Jazz Fretless. I had a new MIM JAzz fretless and I must say it was a great bass. No mods needed!

7. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    I agree! I have Brice Fretless 75 model Jazz which is supposed to be better than then SX (at least to the folks at Rondo anyway) If your goal is just to have a fretless then By all means get one. It sounds decent. But if you really want to get mileage out of it and are already thinking upgrade you might be better off getting an MIM fretless Fender. No matter what anyone tries to tell you the woods and electronics used in an MIM fender are better than the SX (just ask someone at Rondo...They'll confirm). They are cool little basses but mods get expensive. You'll be over 300 spent in no time.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I somewhat disagree.

If an MIM is what you're shooting for, you should get the MIM. Resale value will certainly be better than with an SX, and if you find a good one used, you can likely sell it later for every penny you paid.

But if you're looking for something a bit different, the SX may be a better fit for you. For example, my modded SX is fitted with Dimarzio Model J pups (which are significantly different from MIM stockers), a series/parallel switch, better pots & jack, etc. I've owned MIM Jazzes before, and this is a decidedly different bass for ~$250.

I suppose it depends on your vision of what the end product should be.

9. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Check out my profile, I got it all listed there. But in terms of hardware I swapped the bridge for a Schaller Roller Bridge, tuners for Hipshot Ultralites, got some nice new chrome knobs, and put on Schaller Straplocks (a must-have on all of my basses). But im going to take most of the parts that ive upgraded the rogue with and put them on my Geddy eventually.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i had one. it had high spots at the fretlines. once i sanded down the fretboard i really liked it.

it was my first fretless and i wanted to see if i would like playing fretless.

in that regard i think that paying $150 or so for something sure beats paying $400 just to see if you like it.