1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX fretless neck damage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikeboth, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    A few years ago I got the 'great' idea to epoxy my SX fretless neck - it didn't turn out so well, and a friend of mine volunteered to remove the epoxy. Well, he did a good job - all the epoxy is gone. However .... :crying:... in a few spots he sanded too much off, and now the neck plays like crap, with buzzing and unevenness.

I've tried contacting Rondo music and Kurt was very helpful in terms of being able to send a replacement neck, however the cost would make it unattractive to me (being in Australia and all). I have no idea if the neck is repairable .... but would a local luthier be able to 'reshape' the fretboard profile so it least intonates properly? Or is a new neck the only option? My amateur opinion is that it can be fixed (as there's not that much 'material' removed) .... the only other option is to sell the remains for what I can get, and put the funds towards a new low-end fretless.

2. You could get a radius sanding block from stew-mac and re-shape the board. I believe it should be fixable.

3. ^What he said.

4. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
  5. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Thanks for the radius info and block size suggestion. I'll order a 16" radius longer sanding block and see how I go!:bassist: