Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX fretless vs. Fender MIM fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    SX....... by far.

I love Fenders, but the MIM doesn't compare to some of the SX jazz basses, even before modifications. (Pups, bridge, etc)

After modifications........ you better watch cha'self!

2. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but there are a BUNCH of threads on this..

Having said that, I own both SX basses and a MIM bass.. You cant go wrong with either but I would buy another SX before a MIM.. Just my opinion

3. Are there also specifical fretless SX Vs Fender MIM threads? anyway i will give it a search, thank you for the input so far ;)

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Keep in mind the shipping difference to the Netherlands. You'll have to call Rondo Music at their Union NJ store (look it up at www.yellowpages.com) to see about shipping out of country.

I really like SX basses, but I would prefer the MIM Fender, I think it would have better everything.

5. Shipping would be 95 dollar. I already asked Kurt about it. And i guess it will be around 100 dollar to ship that MIM, so not much difference in there..

6. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    And keep in mind, what no one on any of these threads seems to mention about the SX basses, is that the SX jazz basses DO NOT have jazz profile necks. They are not 1.5" at the nut. To me that is huge.

7. Yep. That's true. The necks feel more like a P-Bass. Doesn't really matter to me though, as I find both neck profiles to be rather comfortable.

8. So which bass is better to upgrade.
    Is an upgraded SX frettles better than a Fender MIM fretless?

Im sorry for the dull question, but I can't play the SX before I buy it, I just have to trust the good storys here..

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    To me, that's a positive thing.

Jim

10. It's all pretty subjective. I can tell you this; if you get screwed with an SX, it'll be much cheaper than getting screwed with an MIM Jazz.

11. I agree.. If you are wanting to do the upgrades yourself and learn new stuff, I would do the SX just because you arent going to be spending as much money right off of the bat.

It comes down to quality control with compairing MIMs and SXs. Some will play great, some will be lemons. Thats why there are soo many mixed opinions.

In my personal opinion, I think its a better "investment" going with the SX. I look at it this way: if you are interested in an MIM, then you are probably looking for an inexpensive backup bass or one that you can toss around and not worry about. With the quality of SX basses and MIMs being soo close, I would go with the SX and put the extra couple hundred bucks that you'll save into new pickups and a new bridge, maybe even in a preamp if you want to go that route.

I have a SX SJB62 that I put $100 into new Fender 60s Reissue pickups, no other upgrades and I'm very pleased with the results.

To each their own. You'll get many different opinions. Your BEST option, if possible, is to play both side by side and let your hands and ears decide for yourself. I hate suggesting this because I hate returning stuff, but if you are REALLY stumped, buy both basses. Return the one your dont like or try to sell it. I dont think you'll have a problem selling either on talkbass.com if the prices are right.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm a fan of the SX's and am sort of planning to get a fretless soon, but its either that or a 5 string or a stingray copy...

anyways, teach yourself sutff on the SX, and upgrade it: you'll spend about as much as you would have if you got the MIM (and have something better)

And there may be a UK dealer for SX's, I'm not sure.

13. RSalvador

RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I just ordered an SX fretless and hard shell case.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7376653399&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Hope that link works looks kinda long...
    I went with the P-Bass. I'll let you know what I think.

Some things I learned from searching the threads, if you want to change the pickguard it won't be an exact fit. You'll have to punch some new holes, they will be covered so no big deal. And you may have to file the pickguard some, again no big deal. Also the pots are the weakest part of the whole thing. Replacing those has made people content with the pickups. Stewart Mac has a P-Bass wiring kit with pots, cap and wire for $15.

Rick

14. Could someone please confirm this? That would be interesting..