1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX Fretless with two different P-ups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j.a.e.r.i.p, Jul 31, 2007.

1. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm about to order the SX fretless modeled after the 1962 fender jazz, and i got a pretty crazy idea. i have two early 70's kay humbuckers that came off of an SG style bass, and i thought that with a little routing i could replace the neck p-up on the SX with a vintage humbucker and get a really warm sound. I was also planning on replacing the bridge p-up with a basslines quarter pounder or a vintage basslines pickup. do think that this would be an effective combination?

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    this def falls under the "one way to find out" theory

You will never know till you try it...

3. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    that's what i guess i'll have to do, but if it doesn't work out it'll be a bummer to have the space routed out...i guess i should just go for it.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just remember that the output of the two pickups probably won't match. Just something to consider.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You could always add a second jack and concentric knobs and go stereo. I'm thinking of maybe doing that with the SX I just ordered and having seperate outputs for passive and active pickups just for fun. To be fair I haven't finalized what I'm going to do with it but a Frankenbass it shall be.