Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sx fretlesses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveMcB, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I have slogged through much of the SX megathread, and a bunch of others, but not really found the info I was after, so I thought I'd post my first question hereabouts...

I'm after a cheap and cheerful way into fretless-land. Rootsy/fake DB sounds would be great.

I missed out on a fretless Ibanez ATK (I love my fretted 5, and my brother has a fretless 4 which is close to the most delicious bass I've ever played) in an auction recently :crying: , and was doing some research when I came across talkbass and the SX recommendations that seem to flow forth, mostly for their fretted basses but with cautions about the fretwork...

I live in New Zealand. We have an SX distributor and there are quite a few around in the shops, but none of them are fretless (in fact I went to 5 stores last weekend and there were only 2 fretlesses between them, a cheap Ibanez with the worst nut buzz I ever heard and a warwick rockbass corvette unlined (I need the lines!). Basses are a lot more expensive here than in the US.

So before I try and order an SX fretless from our distributor, can I get some comments on the quality of the SX fretlesses in terms of playability, neck quality and stuff. Lots of people berate the fret work somewhat - is this negated by being fretless or are the raised lines a couple of people have commented on a common issue?

Thanks for your help, sorry about the long-windedness,
    Steve

2. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    If you want a cheap fretless go for it. I wanted a cheap fretless and got one. Its alright. I dont know of any fretless that are better in that price range.....

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My SX's fretboard was perfect on my fretless. It's really hit or miss with these things and I think a lot of people would agree with me on that. But for $100+s&h who can complain? I say go for it and get one, they really are amazing basses for the money. Also some advice for next time... it really helps if you ask your question in the Essex Megathread instead of looking through every page (I know how it feels, its extremely boring), it most likely will get answered, tons of people view that thread daily. Hope this helps any.

4. Thanks guys...
    I wish it was gonna be $100+S&H, but it's gonna be more like $250US... The joys of dealing with another 2 layers of middlemen (local distributor and retail shop without much competition).

I will try to post this on the megathread, good idea, sorry I didn't think of it first up...
    Steve

5. The Rogue fretless is a good value. I have bought two Rogues and a SX. The Rogues had heavier bridges and better pickups, the SX had better tuners. Neck joint were about the same. One Rogue had an excellent fit in the neck joint the next had a terrible fit, but so did the SX.

6. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    My SX five string had a "divot" in the fretboard -- couldn't see it unless you took the strings off and held the fretboard up to a light at just the right angle. Consequently the E, A, and D string buzzed undesirably at the first "fret" position.

I had a guitar teacher/luthier/friend re-work the neck (don't know that leveling is what this is called since it's not fretted, but that's how I think of it). He might be cheaper than most, but for $40 it's now perfect and one could never know by looking at it that the work's been done.

I've heard Kurt at Rondo is pretty good at taking returns but I didn't even bother.

Also, the B string was basically unusable (absolutely no sustain) but has recently totally come back to life when I replaced the stock flatwounds with half-rounds.

And now it is mwah-tastic!

Talk soon,
    HooBass

7. Thanks guys.
    Rogue is not a brand I've seen here, and I doubt Rondo would ship to me - most of the online stores won't because they have exclusive arrangements with local distributors.

Steve