1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX hotrod-- frets- pounder pups TI-JF-344's hipshot top and bottom

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rokkitt, Apr 30, 2010.

1. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    -- hmmmm time to downgrade!
    I wannna run my SX pbass copy , black with maple neck, as my main gigging bass---

Was using the select-a-slut bass aka the H-bird aka the epi t-bird

I have fret push thru--- can I grab some metal file I have laying around--and finish the fret ends? Does it have to be a certain shape?
    I don't need it to be perfect, and if it gets messed up, I don't care--

So, can I use any metal file, have a redbull, and attack the job? Or do I need special files for the frets-- they are nickle? Are they "soft" so any file will do?

I have the Seymor Duncan Quarter Pounders installed, and all new pots and capacator thanks to "tonebender"

Next I have to get the hipshot tuners, I have them on my ric, and the 27 to 1 is so tasty!

And either a badass or hipshot bridge-- I guess any badass-- series one, two or three would be better than the standard SX bridge

And I have yet to try the hipshot bridge---
    So---- any one got hipshot or badass stuff for sale?

and, maybe do a gotoh 201...

Maybe and extra fret file laying around?

I want to get started right away--- whaddya think?

Big Al

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    I found a gotoh 28 to 1 tuners, and a gotoh bridge......as a combo....I might do this

and, I have been reading about the fret dressing techniques....

is it possible for a beginner like me to actually fret dress.....even if it is a rough rough rough job...

allen

3. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    well

the bridge is on, and the bass feels solid now....the extra weight makes a difference!

the 26 to 1 tuners make a big difference, and the precision feel of the tuners gives the 99 dollar SX a high end feel

I have flats and quarter pounders in there...I have to keep playing around with the sound....but the guys in the band like it

the wood has expanded, and the fret push is not too bad....its warm and humid in NYC now

hmmmmmm I have to shim the neck,,,,,,maybe the way the one guy did in this thread (this thread...post number 2.... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627147 ) by drilling and inserting metal threads...and using the business card trick

the action could be lower....but it is ok

then, I am goign to get a pickguadian PG ....either pearloid or black with white trim

so, the ----poor mans---- fender P bass!

big al

any one want photos>?

hehehehhe