Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX J-Bass that weights 13.5lbs... What's going on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r6mile, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I bought 8 months a SX J-Bass in Italy (I went over there for the summer). I was very happy with because it was working really well. Then school started, and I joined my High School Band. I tried the school's bass, and it weighted half of mine! So I thought maybe it was just the model. But then my teacher came to show me his and same thing! Yesterday I weighted it and it weighted about 13.5lbs..., and in RondoMusic it says it should weight 9lbs! What's going on? How do you think I can solve the problem?

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

r6mile -

What is the finish on your bass -- is it natural? If so, you probably have one of the Ash-bodied SX's. Those were much heavier than the others because Ash (significantly NOT "Swamp ash") is a much heavier wood. Some people like ASH because it has a different tonal characteristic.

I had one of those but sent it back because it was far too heavy for my tastes. I now have one of the Alder bodied SX's and it suits me fine.

3. Oh OK. I thought mine had a problem lol. Yes, I think it's natural. How can I distinguish Ash from Alder (besides for the weight)?

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Your scale may not be accurate. If using something like a $10 bathroom scale, it's more likely to be closer in the middle of it's span of measurement than at the beginning or else get progressively worse as a percentage of it's error factor.
    My bathroom scale is about 7-9 pounds off at my body weight, fwiw. A shipping scale from a post office should be pretty close.

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    the grain and color of the wood. Ash is a little yellow-ish in color, and it has big grain. Also, they don't make a natural alder bass, so if your's is natural, it's ash.

Greg

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Sometimes the Rondo web site has kind of "questionable" details, weight being one of those pieces of info that isn't always right. I sincerely don't think they do it to deceive, but it's something they ought to pay more attention to.

Take the bass to a dog vet clinic, they have these cool, accurate scales that are pretty big ..... big enough for a large dog to walk up on ........ :cool:

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Lets be fair about this...Its not really Rondo's fault if the bass is above spec for weight. When you're dealing with wood, you can't really be all that accurate when forcasting weight. Each tree, each board from a tree is different. In Rondo's case, they're on a different continent from where the basses are built and they can only have so much control over such things.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Usually, heavy Ash = great sounding piece of wood.

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Agreed .....

Like I said, I don't think Rondo is in any way deceptive, but a more accurate description would be something like:

"bass weight varies between 9.5 pounds and 12 pounds, depending on the type of wood..." blah, blah, blah

The way they write the descriptions, it sounds like the weight is an exact figure. Being off by 4 pounds is significant ..... :eyebrow:

10. I'll send you pictures of my bass as soon as I can, so you can tell me if it's really made of ash, because I can't :-(

11. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    If I recall correctly, the Rondo site had the ash bodied Jazz basses listed at 12 lbs. So given that, 13.5 lbs isn't unusually high, though it is quite a bit heavier than the Alder bodied basses which usually weigh between 7 and 9 lbs.

I question though how the Ash bodied PJ basses they have up there now can really be 7 lbs...I think that's wrong as it's the same weight listed for the Alder PJ bass, and my Alder one is more like 8.5 lbs.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My ash bodied SX weighs right at 6 lbs.

13. My Ash SX Jazz feels like I have a Browning .50cal machine gun slung over my shoulder.:D Heavy!
    C7

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    6 pounds for an ash one? werd.

Sucks that yours is so heavy though; get a wide strap :D

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I like them when they have some weight,
    They don't feel like a cheap toy.

16. So I guess the SX basses are worth the price, I may be buying a fretless jazz bass soon.

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

They are definitly worth the price! they aren't God's gift to basses, but I can't think of any bass that would be better for gigging/jamming. Then an SX.

18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I won't say that they are the end-all, be-all for jamming or anything else but for what you pay, you get a tremendous amount of Bang for the buck.

Don't be afraid -- pull the trigger!