1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Jazz 5 and a Hipshot A-Style Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well. I've done it.

No, I didn't put a new bridge on my SX. Im looking to tho. Reason: When I restrung it the other day I had to force the low B pretty hard thru the hole. No theres a big dint, and the string isn't all the way in :( It seems rather stable, but I'd like to avoid that the next time.

If I used a .125 string as a low B it would prolly work, but I can't find any locally, and I like chromes anyway lol.

Back to the matter at hand, the reason im looking at the A-style is that it seems like I can stick the ball in the end of the bridge, then lay the string on the saddle, thus avoiding having to pull the whole string thru a silly little hole.

3 questions:

1) Has anyone else put a hipshot a-style on their SX. I measured the total string spacing on mine and its around 2.5". The smallest hipshot spacing is 2.675 :meh:

2) Can the string slots in the hipshot handle a .132 string? Actually, I should ask can it handle a .132 with silk wrap on the ends....

3) If the mounting holes don't line up, do I have to pre-drill? The old holes would all be covered up by the new bridge no problem, but none of the current holes would line up even close.

Dimensions: http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/5stgastyle.pdf

Ill take some pics of the bridge and hopefully post em later.

Thanks in advance :D

2. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    My SX 5 measured less than 16mm at the bridge and I changed it to 16.5. Since it has a lot of room at the edge of the board it worked fine on mine. So it worked for a bridge just under 2.6 inches, the Hipshot may or may not work for you. You can punch 2 holes in a piece of something 2.675 inches apart and run a string in one and out the other, then hold the thing by your bridge and hold the ends of the strings in the outside nut slots so you can envision where the strings will fall with the wider spacing.

And yes, always pre drill holes. Or have a friend do it.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada

I might just go for it....

4. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    lishu.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You can also just take a Dremel tool to the B-string hole on your existing bridge. Widen it just a bit so it has enough room and you're good.

I've had to do this on several basses.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hehe. I guess I could Dremel it, but Im also thinking of changing the tuners to something a little lighter/better.

And black....

Checked out some basses today (almost bought an LTD F series 5er) and I think the hipshot will work out quite well. Even if I have to cut off some of the silk on the ball end, it will be WAY easier to string than it was the last time.

I just gotta make sure the new mounting holes will be far enough away from the current holes and Ill prolly order one.

Any suggestions on what to do if the new holes will be to close to the old ones?

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I put a narrow B style Hipshot bridge on an SX 5 I had and it worked very nice. I got it from Carvin and I got it for the same reason you are looking at them, the top loading. The Carvin ones have a black base so if you get a chrome one just the saddles are chrome but if you are changing to black anyway the B stlyle from Carvin would work very well. Here's a picture of it on the SX I had,also an Audere preamp. You will have to drill new holes for the bridge but it's not too hard. Just measure the distance from the nut to where your bridge saddles are when your bass is intonated correctly and make sure the strings go over the pickup poles fairly evenly. The Hipshot should cover the holes from the stock bridge and still let you adjust the saddles to get it tuned right.

SXAudere001.

Also,to tell the truth,The Hipshot didn't make much of a difference in the way the bass played or sounded. Drilling out the B and E string holes on the stock bridge will fix what you are trying to fix but the Hipshots are great bridges and are a definite upgrade.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Man that looks nice!