Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Jazz bass 4 vs 5-string quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJ_Sullivan, Jul 31, 2004.

1. RJ_Sullivan

RJ_Sullivan

Jul 14, 2004
    Hi all,

Thanks to all the great posts here I've decided to make my first bass purchase an SX Jazz bass. Started with an SX P-Bass, but after messing with it for a few days - I realize I'm more of a Jazz kinda guy. BTW, Kurt at Rondo is awesome to work with...in case you didn't know already!
    The only question for me is 4 vs 5 string. I'm not talking about the normal should I get a 4 or 5 - I know which one to get is personal preference and a source of a lot of debate (and I'm not tryin' to start anything here :) ).
    However, I've heard a lot of people mention on message boards and in music stores that you don't wanna buy an inexpensive 5-er. Cheap or inexpensive 4's are okay, but if you're gonna get a 5, it should be a good one.
    I've heard many explanations for this ranging from:
    "The low B sounds crappy on inexpensive 5's", to "The extra string(s) put more tension on the neck, and because the necks aren't as good on cheaper basses, it causes the neck to have problems down the road".
    Now I'm not sure if any of this is true or not, so I was hoping for a little advice. I would prefer to order the 5-string Jazz (I think), but if there's more of a chance for problems, I would probably just go with a 4.
    Any help or info would be great, as I plan to order in a day or two. Any small reviews from anybody with an SX 5-string Jazz would be awesome!

Thanks,

RJ

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Welcome to TB :D

This is what you are looking for:
    SX Bass Megathread

I would recommend that you read Newbie Links and try to use the search feature before posting. Alot of members get upset when someone new comes onboard and doesn't learn the "rules".

Once again, welcome!

3. RJ_Sullivan

RJ_Sullivan

Jul 14, 2004
    Kelly,

Thanks for the reply...it's good to be here!! :hyper:

Just to let you know, I did read (or at least tried to effectively skim-read) the megathread.....all 108 or so pages of it. Whew!
    Unfortunately I didn't find anything in the thread discussing this particular topic. I also used the general "search" feature, and almost everything I found was just a debate on wether 4 or 5 string is better - which isn't really my question

Just to clarify...I'm trying to find out if inexpensive 5-stringers (by SX or anybody) are more prone to problems, than the same 4-string basses.

My question isn't necessarily about the SX basses specifically, although that is what I'm looking at buying. My question is more of a general one on wether or not there should be a reliability concern with buying an inexpensive 5-string. Do they have more problems? Do they have more neck issues than an inexpensive 4-stringer would have? Stuff like that.

As I stated in my previous post, I've heard a few salesmen at local music stores say that cheap 4-string basses are okay, but cheap 5-stringers tend to have a lot of problems, especially w/the neck - so if you want to go with a 5-stringer you need to get a good one.

I'm trying to ask your advice on whether or not this info is true.

Sorry if my initial post wasn't very clear. :)

RJ