SX Jazz Bass copy bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Buhler, Feb 3, 2005.

1. HI,

Just received my SX SJB62QMD/FL/ bass yesterday. It was a replacement for one that I had received a couple of weeks ago that had some problems.

Overall the bass looks better, feels better (heavier and more solid) than the "new" SX Jazz copies with the big floppy clown headstocks. The one I recieved had the old style Fender/Sadowsky looking hs which I prefer.

The only problem I see with this bass at this point is the the bridge string holes are not big enough to pass the A and E strings through. They get caught up on the nylon winding and hang back behind the bridge.

Has anyone ever tried to either drill or file these holes to make them larger? Or should I just replace the bridge?

TIA for any responses,

2. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I have drilled out the bridge to accomodate a heavier string - be sure to file the holes after drilling.
  3. I filed out the hole for the E string once, using a small needle file. (for stringing it BEAD)
    It wasn't an SX, but it's a Jazz copy too. (with the typical Fender style bent plate bridge)
    All in all it was very easy to do. ( and the filing took way less time then I expected)

Hope this helps.