SX Jazz Fretless, Why Not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Am local store has a SX Jazz lined fretless for $100. It plays pretty well. Even with flatwounds, it get s a very nice "Jaco" tone. It's only $100, why should I not get this knock about fretless?

3/27/10 - Obviously, I ended up buying it!

2. there's literally no reason.

Actually the reason I didn't like them, is because I find fret lines irritating, and misguiding, but other than that, there's no reason.

3. There is no reason you should not buy the bass. Do you have a fretless? If not, do it! I bought a fretless SX P-Bass and it's pretty decent. It NEEDS a set-up, BADLY (intonation and action are quite off; partly my fault.) But overall, it's a great bass. Do it, you know you want to!

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Um... cause you have the money for Musicman basses and the sterling fretless wpiezo is a steller bass (not bad on the eyes either). Though mine (without the pg reminds me of a G&L)

DSC01013.jpg

5. genius. Don't spend $100, spend $1000.:eyebrow:

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Hell it's better than spending $100,000 on my coffee table you converted into a bass.

Plus that beauty was only $700 IIRC (it was a gift).

I could get out my first bass and pull out a butter knife and defret it and sell it him for $50 and he's prolly get a better bass :D

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is sweet, but the $100 SX is more where my finances are.:oops:

8. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I bought a new fretless SX love it

9. Um...because you don't want to spend $100 to spend another $100 setting it up and upgrading electronics? *Shrug*

Is this a trick question?

Maybe you already have enough basses. Or, would the spouse/lover be mad for spending loot right now? This gun feels loaded...

I say do it! If you have the funds and need this baby, "why not?" would be my retort.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I bought it, I would play it as is. Besides maybe changing strings and setting it up, I would do nothing to it. My only issue about buying it is that realistically, it would probably end up gathering a lot of dust because fretless is not my focus, and I prefer five string basses when I do play out.

11. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I have 1 SX fretless sunburst Jazz with Chromes flats otherwise stock, one stock SX Jazz LPB with Dadario rounds, one SX Vint Green Jazz with 2008 MIA Fender Jazz plate, pots, pups and chromes flats. And a Vint Yellow Jazz Stock with rounds and they are all on the same level after my NON expert self setups. The MIA pups are more mellow and less output where the SXs are a bit hotter more growly/snarly depends on my mood but sometimes I prefer the SXs tone. This also includes the tone of my stock 2008 MIA Fender Jazz more mellow ect

SX are great screw the snobs I love all mine Hell my MIA sits collecting dust for about a year after I discovered SX

And another tip spend the time to learn your own setups with 30 odd basses and guitars it would be insanely expensive for $30-60 a setup

12. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Don't buy it if its only going to collect dust. Leave it for someone who, hopefully, will buy it to play it.

13. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I don't think they are going to run out soon ;)

I bought a LPB fretless SX jazz for pretty much the same purposes Doc, and I couldn't be happier. I did file the slots deeper in the nut, which I felt it needed badly, but otherwise it seems like a fine bass. Great for the money in fact, and catches dust every bit as well as the much more expensive basses next to it. When I do pick it up, it feels and sounds very nice.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Sure I've got one so I can indeed tell you why NOT to get one.
    1. Neck has fretlines. Mine SX is perfectly smooth but rumor has it some need sanding to be smooth. Point is one needs a "blank plank" to truly "show class" when playing a fretless bass. The audience always thinks a fretless with fretlines is a fretted bass.

2. Hum. All SX basses have minimal shielding so an order of copper shielding to StewMac is required. Plus a couple of hours taking the bass apart, installing the shield, and putting it back together.

3. Setup. Most SX basses need a setup BAD. I thought the tone on my SX fretless sucked for about a year. And then I finally decided to break down and give it a total setup. Amazingly, with a small adjustment of pickup height the tone of that bass simply came ALIVE! Of course I did the setup myself so it cost nothing, but hey it took some time and bother.

4. Strings. Even though SX basses are supposed to come with D'Addario strings, you still need to put new ones on. Mine has flatwounds right now (GHS) but I think I"m going to change to the brighter D'ADdario half-rounds. In any case if you stick with the factory round wound strings they will chew the finger board in a hurry so the huge expense of new strings is a must!

So there you have it. All the reasons NOT to bother with an SX. Lots of work setting up and shielding, the huge expense of a new set of strings and the total embarrassment of it not saying "Fender" on the headstock let alone the shame of maybe having the new Ursa SX headstock.

And anyway, why spend $100 for a cheap bass when you can get a Musicman or a nice G&L Fretless used for only ten times the price? My G&L fretless cost nearly that used and it has fretlines too, the piece of crap!

That's it. Now it's up to you. [OF course if it's a used bass the previous owner MAY have taken care of this stuff for you...]

However...Never forget the rule:

RULE: You can never own too many basses!

;)

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well if it's a 4 string and you mostly wish to play 5 string (this is me too) then that's reason enough to pass. After all, why get something that doesn't suit you when Rondo.com sells new 5 string SX fretless basses. (my SX fretless is 5 string) and the their price is not that much more than your store. Yes, you pay shipping but you don't pay sales tax. (depending on which state you live in)

But as for not having a fretless "focus" that point is irrelevant unless you already own a bunch of fretless basses. (like me) or have no need for a beater "bar bass" which is why I got my SX basses. The surprise was how much I love them and that they get played almost as much as the "good" basses!

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The previous owner must have done some work on it before letting it go because the only thing it needed was to have G and E bridge saddles raised.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked it up at lunch. It will be a bass I play for fun unless I find myself getting much better on fretless than I am currently. I must confess, I feel a little guilty owning it although it cost so little. I just rarely own three basses at one time. :oops:

18. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I was messin with you.

I've been gassin for a fretless pbass but I hate the lines... hate em!

19. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    I am not familiar with SX. Who are they and where do the manufacture?

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a brand of Rondo Music. They are inexpensive basses made in China, but some are much nicer than the super prices would indicate. Do a search, there are many threads on SX basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021