1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sx jazz not cutting through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theophilus762, Mar 15, 2008.

1. whats up guys,

so i've been playing my blueburst sx jazz for the past few weeks at home, and it sounds like an awesome jazz should sound. however, i got to try it on a gig tonight and while it sounded great by itself, as soon as my band members started playing, it got totally, completely lost in the mix.

has any other sx owners found this issue, and is it the sx pickups, or do jazz basses sit in the mix moreso than cut through the mix?

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    If I want to cut with a Jazz I roll back the neck pickup. Also, the stock pickups might not be cutting it. There's a couple of steps you can take before you try and replace them though.

1. Roll back neck pickup some
    2. Adjust the mids on your amp. Remember, they're your friend! Try boost around 250-500 for super growly fingerstyle and 750ish for more clarity.

I'm sure there will be more stuff to try, but that's what I know off the top of my head.

3. I always found that if a band I was in had 2 or more guitarists my Jazz which sounded great at home blended in too much. I found the P-bass cut through better. But for some reason, if a band had 1 guitar and Keys they Jazz fit in better.

God, I just realized what will I do if I join a band that has 2 guitars and Keys? Maybe My Guild will work best. Life is so complicated.

4. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Follow what Beav said, altho I tend to favor the neck pickup volume in order to get a more P-like tone when playing rock with mine. I eventually started playing my SX Jazz for worship-only and switched to my SX P's for rock/pop stuff in order to get the cut I craved.

5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    +1, particularly point 2.

6. yeah, i dialed in a good amount of low mids on my LMII...today I even practiced at a different venue, and it didn't cut through even with lots of mids added.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    What I do.

Bass (SX SJB-75, EMG Selects, BAII):

Neck Vol. - 70-80%
    Bridge Vol. - 100%
    Tone - 100%

Amp (1001RB-II):

Vol.: 12:00
    No Contour/Presence
    Treble: 12:00
    Hi-Mid: 1:00
    Low-Mid: 1:30
    Bass: 11:30
    Boost: 2:00
    Master: 9:00

Cuts. Growls. Punches.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    If I'm not mistaken you have high mids in the LMII also...

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I find that very few inexpensive basses cut on gigs. I have had a SX, a cheap Ibanez SGR, a Squier VM and a Charvel and NONE of them cut.

Inexpensive basses are great for practicing at low volumes IMO but unless you get lucky and find a great cheap bass with quality electronics, pickups, etc. they rarely cut on gigs.

On the other side of the coin, owning expensive basses if one doesn't gig or even jam with others can be a waste of $$$.

Having said that... pickup upgrades might help and an outboard preamp might also help you cut.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Your issue is most likely with the EQ on the amp, and not the bass.

High Mids will get you some cut.

If that doesn't work, try different strings, or adjusting the p/u hight.

If you can't cut with single coils, somethings wrong.

11. As a Brice owner (I now have had 4 and have ordered my 5th), the pickups are actually pretty decent. The electronics - um - SUCK!

If you want growl, drop a Bartolini pre-amp into it. If you want clarity, go for an Audere. If you want a nice balance, go for a Glockenklang.

The difference will amaze you!

Z

12. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    I've tried all these adjustments (except a preamp) on my MIJ jazz. It still gets lost when I play around the 12th fret when jamming with 2 guitars. My P cuts fine. I might try an PUP upgrade or go for the pre amp next.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    As far as I'm concerned when you say your SX Jazz doesn't cut through you are saying Jazz basses don't cut through.To me the SX Jazzes I've had sound like Fenders for the most part.I haven't had any trouble gigging with them playing guitar heavy blues/rock and Texas roadhouse style blues.I'd also say that it could be your amp/speakers and the way you are eqing.

One thing that works really well with Jazzes for changing up the sound to cut through is an Audere preamp like some of the other guys have said.I put one in one of my SX Jazz 5 strings and it made a huge difference.It still could sound like it did stock but flippng the three way eq switch can give you instant beef or high end cut or both.Even though the Audere costs more than the bass does new it is well worth it.

It may also be that a Jazz just isn't right for the music you are playing.You say your p bass works better,maybe that's what you really need.

14. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I recommend an Audure, seems to be one of the best electronic mods for SX to really fill it up and get it kicking.

15. well i don't really plan on upgrading the sx, i was just curious about your opinions on why its not cutting through. my main player is my G&L, and that cuts through without any struggle whatsoever!