1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX Jazz Surgery

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I got a black 5-string SX Jazz fretless on clearance through Rondo a few months ago. I was somewhat disappointed with it as a fretless (especially compared to my fretted SX Jazz in LPB), so I decided to use it as a mod bass...

I recently grabbed a Maple block neck from fellow TB'er Azoore (SWEET neck!), and I decided to go balls-out on this. So far, I have, or have ordered:

* the neck (which had the heavy poly finish removed),
    * an Audere Z-mode J Deluxe 3-band preamp
    * a chrome Schaller roller bridge
    * Hipshot chrome Ultralites
    * Hipshot chrome string tree
    * a custom-cut white pearloid pickguard from Pickguardian.com
    * Dunlop chrome flush-mount strap locks
    * a Graph Tech Trem-Nut
    * a flush mount battery box
    * shielding tape/paint to fully shield the cavity and wiring routes.

The only thing I'm leaving stock (for now) is the pups. As I've said, and many others on here have said, the stock ones are very good pickups. I doubt very highly I'll swap them.

Pics to follow.... :bassist:

2. Don't forget to shield under the pickup and (if possible) along the route the wire will lay in en route to the control cavity. I forgot once on my first mod and man it irritated me.

zilla

3. Yeah, I'll shield as best I can. I have a little bit of shielding paint left that I can use to get up in the wiring routes. I'm usually pretty anal with stuff like that, so it should be good.

Thanks for the tip!!!

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I did the same thing you are doing to yours.I just put the Audere in last week and it turned into a tone monster,I got the one with the mid control.I don't have a picture with the pre in yet but here it is beforehand.You should love it.

Basses006.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I wished they payed more attention at the factory when it comes to pickup placement. I don't like how the strings don't align properly between the poles.

6. cool project eric... cant wait to see pics!

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Yeah, they don't seem to be terribly careful cutting pickguards. I cut a black one for my SX with the route in the correct place.

8. Definitely...

Anyone have any other suggestions for work to do to this puppy?

9. Some early pics... Please don't mind the MASSIVE fingerprints. There's not a scratch on the body, but I obviously gots some oily skin. Blech!!!!

Here's the original with the fretless board, sans strings...
    stock.

Here's the neck I scored from fellow TB'er Azoore. SEXY!!!
    neck.

Here's one with the neck, sans strings/neck hardware...
    w_neck.

And lastly, here's a closer-upper of the body/neck...
    close.

The next pics will not include fingerprints. Sorry guys! :p

10. Is it just me, or does the bass have 70's pickup spacing?
    Dan

11. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it finished :)

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I think they all do.

13. I need some advice from the masses...

Despite me initially wanting this to be a Geddy clone, I am considering a white perloid pickguard. It will definitely be either the stock white one, or perloid white from a pickgaurd blank.. So suggestions of any other color would fall on deaf ears... :)

What'cha all think?

14. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    Pearloid would look pretty nice. Or tort. Can't go wrong with the tort!

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    White pearloid on black would look sharp as hell

16. Yeah, I am leaning that way. I'm waiting on some prices to have one cut up from the original as a template. I don't want to use a Fender one that *kinda* fits. I also don't want to ruin a $30 blank myself trying to cut one. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on that?

Thanks! :)

17. While I certainly dig me some tort, I want to keep this one at least Geddy-ish. ;)

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

19. I just got a quote of 56 beans shipped to make a white pearloid pickguard using the original white one as a template. I'm going to wait until the Audere arrives so I see what kind of changes will need to be made so everything lines up perfectly, and then send the white one off for duplication. ;)

EDIT: The preamp came today, and I'm thrilled to report the differences in control cavity plate is negligible at most. No one other than myself will notice. With that being said, the white pearloid will be ordered very, very soon...

20. Shielding is complete... :hyper:

4-1.

1-1.

2-1.