SX lefty neck on a righty bass and some other stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stanger503, Feb 3, 2009.

1. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    ok so ive been waiting for quite a while for the right handed black blocked 4 strings to come out. finally emailed kurt and he said not til summer!!!...so they do have the lefties on there...any opinions on that??? also any mods i could do in the control area that could add some good growl to the bass without new pickups??? just curious on that?

2. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    I have a righty SX and lefty neck on the way at the moment.

3. ttmnky

ttmnky

Nov 12, 2007
    P-Bass with a reversed headstock (or just a lefty neck) looks absolutely amazing!

RE: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoGkI4rW8Y

Cantonese Pop-Rock, but the Bassist has a white P, black pickguard with a lefty neck. That caused major Gas for me.

4. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    super so im not the only one...i bought the 5er neck this past summer and was blown away by how unreal it looked. im just goin for a geddy knock off with some twisted balls to it and i figure this would be one way to really take it another step..that and theres no righty necks haha

5. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    pre practice bump

6. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Jimmy Eat World's bassist does this. I'm surprised they haven't made it a signature!

7. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    He does to get more tension on the E string.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    How would he get extra tension? The scale length is still 34" at the nut...

To the op:

You could put an orange drop capacitor in the tone circuit?

-Benny

EDIT: I love the idea of having a reverse head on a P. I think the look is great, but every bass and guitar that I've had with a reverse headstock has only led to getting knocked out of tune way easyier because they are much more exposed to getting hit by stuff or my singer.

9. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Nothing against strat fans but I do not like the Fender Strat strictly from a cosmetic standpoint. I am also not a guitarist worth a darn but I saw a reversed headstock Strat (oir righty with lefty neck, whatever) on eBay once that gave me GAS so bad it was a crying shame. The only reason why I didn't grab it was the seller wouldn't ship, it was local only and he was a few states away. If not Id have been all over that that thing..just to have it sit in the corner LOL but reversed headstocks on righty axes totally rule.

And now for something off the topic but similar; I found a lefty BC Rich Platinum Warlock once that I fell in love with but Im not a left player. I had considered getting it and putting a right neck on it. Something about the Warlock body for leftys just blows me away and looks so much cooler then the rightys IMO!!!! I wasn't a member of TB at the time and was told everywhere I called that it would cost a kings ransom to convert it right and blah blah...man what a lost chance at a decent original(ish) bass had I only known then what I know now... oh well.

10. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    It is still the same scale but the tuning peg is further back.

11. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    whats the difference with the orange drop and what effects will i be getting with it....i thought or read a few hours ago that it rounds out the sound which i take as a more rolled off tone knob sound unless you mean it gives more tonal range..like a well rounded individual kind of round

12. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I've been planning on doing this for years. Glad to see other people have the same idea. A while back I had my chewed off for merely suggesting it...

Let's see some pics!

13. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    haha ill take the bullet for u man thats what im here for

14. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Dont forget about a new nut for the neck as it will be wrong ie slots , but this has been done before, Also the machine heads no biggie other than it will fell funny when you tune the bass ie hand on bottom side of head stock.

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

OK ...

Early Geddy body
    62 RI MIJ lefty neck
    Gotoh Bridge
    62 style tort pickguard
    Nordstrand NJ4SE pickups

JimiJazzdoc2.jpg

:D ... It's known around here as the Jimi Jazz

16. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    that looks sweet...does it actually have an effect on your e and g string??? im sure there is but i mean is there a noticeable change because i do actually tune to drop d often enough and the extra tension if there is any would be saweetttt

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    It does seem to have a different feel than my other Jazz Basses a very bright snap to it

Also the neck being from a 62 ri the tuners are of the reverse type so upside down the tune normally

:) ... I had the guy who techs my basses add side dots so I can see them.

18. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Thanks man, I owe ya one.

19. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    haha ill call it even for the new a hole u guys ripped marty over that sx review i was laughin hysterically the entire time. i originally just planned on reading one page but i saw this escalating and there was no way i was gonna stop so 5 pages later hahaha... that made my day, i was a little sad it was over

20. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    ahh yes....the good ol' days.......wait, wasn't that last week?

It is always in good fun though......
    Just want to make sure everyone understands that....

Oh yeah, we need more pics in here.

That Jimi Jazz is BADASS!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021