SX neck radius question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    What scale are the SX "RN" basses (the Jag knock-offs)? I'm guessing they are the same as a Jag but thought perhaps someone here might know. I don't see it listed on the Rondo website and just had a friend who is going to be travelling through town ask if I could work it over very quickly for him.

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Just so we're on the same page, "scale" refers to the distance from nut to bridge. "Radius" is the curvature of the fretboard. Also, in Rondo's product descriptions, "RN" and "MN" stand for "rosewood neck" and "maple neck" respectively.

I can't say with 100% certainty what it is, but Rondo/SX basses tend to run towards the very flat radii…usually 14". It's not perfect science, but if you check out the close-up photos of the Ursa 1's and 2's neck heel, you'll see they're as flat-ish as the Ursa 4's. If your friend likes flatter, modern fretboards (think "Ibanez"), it shouldn't be a problem.

On a personal note, it's the main reason why I won't get one. I like my boards to be curvy (like my women! drool).

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021