1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX neck swap

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Din Of Win, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Hey,

This is my first time posting in this section, and i hope it's appropriate (if not, i hope it's not over-asked).

Simply:

I have an SX p/j whose neck is cracked. I'm not a fan of the new headstocks of SXs, so what other brands will fit without any sort of modification (as i have zilch woodworking skills).

Thanks! :D

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Try contacting Kurt at at Rondo. He has helped me in the past.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Many SX necks are somewhat sloppily installed. They may or may not fit other SX necks. You will likely need to do some modification in any case.

4. If that's the case, how much woodworking would be required for a Fender/Warmoth neck? A P neck, specifically.

5. KimblesNimble

KimblesNimble

Jan 10, 2008
    I hear Fenders do not fit but Warmoth do. I hunted for a used SX neck (old headstock) and eventually got a great price on one hear at TB. Have a look in the for sale section one is bound to come up if you don't mind waiting.

6. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Sx necks (and hence pockets) are a hair wider than Fender and the replacements, so your best bet is buying another SX bass or neck, filling the holes and re-drilling them to match your bass. if you aren't sure how, there is a guy doing something similar here. it'
    s not a tutorial, but it should help.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627147&page=1
    You would have to order a custom Warmoth, if I'm not mistaken. They are made to Fender specs

7. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My friend's dad put a MIA fender neck straight on his SX. I forget what the neck was, but the body was Jazz.