1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sx New Headstock Hit or Miss???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dagovna659, May 27, 2011.

1. dagovna659

dagovna659

Mar 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi Tbers, This is my first post n hope not my last. As I don't mean to offend anyone n i appologize in advance if i do. Here we go. Il ooked @ the new sx headstocks and IMO they're not bad at all, it kinda reminds me of my old Ibanez roadstarll pj which i still have. Also I lived 10 miles from Rondo's when they were located in Union,NJ on rt22w. I am a proud owner of 4 Brice HX406's and 2 sx sjb's. I have not to this day replaced anything :cool:but strings on my sx's as i do all my own work on all my basses that need adjustments. I find the tone on my sx's to b what i want them to b according to the genre of music im playing. If you have touch,taste and timing u just help to enhance your tone. Not saying u shouldn't mod your sx's just saying that mine are still stock(other than straplocks n strings)and i still gig with them with no problems at all.And yes i have basses thatsover the$2000 range which i bought with the gig$$ from my sx's. However just cause i have ken smith and spectors and stinray5's i rarely use them not cause they dont sound great but because if they were damaged or stolen I'd b mad as a 1-eyed-cat looking at 2- mouseholes. So i choose my battles when I should break out the top-guns. All the mods r cool but u can achieve the same goal with a $49 Zoom 506 which is what i use no ob preamps just a simple Zoom n i have bass players say u got nice tone 2 go along with your chops n i say thnx n keep it moving. Dont argue if u think sx's r crap thats ur opinion. What works for me may not work for u just thought i'd share a little thats all. Also, I paid $105 for both my sx's total when rondo's were closing their store n those sx basses made me a decent $ and still do. so whatever you play enjoy it and thank god u can play because everybody cant do this only a chosen few. Peace Dagovna::cool: P.S. The worse bass i ever owned was a Sekova(jazz copy) which i bought in 1975 now that was a real peace of ish couldn't even use it for firewood.

2. Firstly, paragraphs are your friend.

Secondly, use whatever you feel comfortable and happy playing! I've not had a chance to play many SXs but I've played many similar budget end instruments over the years. And aye they work just fine!

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I don't care for it.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer the prevous version.

If I bought a new one (I already have one with the older version headstock) I'd probably re-carve the headstock.

5. I don't hate the headstock shape, I just don't think it matches the body shape at all. Take a classic design and put a modern looking headstock on it, not for me. Put a Fender Shaped headstock on a BC Rich anything... not going to look right.

6. Eh... it's growing on me, actually.

While i think it still looks wonkey on the P and J basses... i kinda LIKE it on the 51 P and the Jaguar basses...

To me, it looks kinda like a Peavey headstock.

I dunno... i think i like it MORE now that it's different. I think SX's are rad enough basses that they kinda deserve their own unique shape to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

To each their own, i suppose!

7. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    MISS :spit: BUT...*I* probably wouldn't buy one but for the body, anyway :rolleyes:

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did they change again, or is this a continuation of the tirade that's already been going on for a year?

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Nope. Still the same tirade.

By the way OP, as a Newbee, you probably don't know that when you search for SX threads use "essex."

10. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    Fits the Jags perfectly, IMO.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Used to hate it, but it's not bad in real life at all.

It wouldn't stop me from buying another one, or from gigging it.

12. I prefer the current headstock over the previous ones as well as over the Fender headstock.

You may now begin the stoning.

13. I also prefer the previous style, but I don't think the new one is as horrendously ugly as some do (to the point they won't buy an SX anymore just because of the headstock). I think it's an over-reaction.

14. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    This.

Looks odd to me on the Ps and Js. If Kurt had the old headstock I'd get a P. :crying:

15. Personally I think they're homely as heck. They make a cheap bass look cheaper. At least with the last headstock they had it was vaguely Fenderish/Laklandish. This one looks like somebody just hacked it off with an ax. :D

16. Eh its ok , but now that squier jags are literally only a few dollars more it makes it hard to live with.

17. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    The new SX headstocks are not all that different from Sadowsky headstocks, and actually look pretty close to Mike Lull headstocks.

I don't hear anyone griping about Mike Lull's headstock aesthetics.

That said, I do prefer the older SX heads, but headstock shape doesn't make or break a deal for me if I find a bass I want.

18. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yeah, plus it seems like the SX Jaggish bass has a much smaller body. I haven't seen one of those in person, but I remember seering a pic someone posted of the SX model next to an MIJ Fender Jag and it seemed considerably smaller.

I swung by GC yesterday and they had a few different Squier Jags. Didn't plug any in, but they felt and played nice. Previously I had only played the VM Jag w/ the P/J configuration. That was high on my GAS list for awhile.

Sorry to go O/T.

19. I would like to see the shortie SX and squier jag in the same photo, i have the squier on the way.

20. Yep.

It's good to be here in 2010.