1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX: New headstocks are in...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EddieG, Apr 29, 2009.

1. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    stl50bsbstk1.

No basses as yet, but here's a Tele to get an idea. Glad I got my SX before these were the headstocks though. A bit of an own goal by Kurt?:confused:

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I got that email too. I greatly prefer the old style headstock. :(

3. Kinda reminds me of the older peavey headstocks.

Tho I agree about the older SX ones looking nicer.

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    ehh, it's not THAT bad, but I have made sure to acquire a couple extra SX J necks with the old headstock in case I need one since I definitely prefer it.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Holy crap is that ugly...

6. Anyone know WHY they couldn't go with the older headstock design??? It wasn't really 'infringing' on anyone elses design was it???? IMHO- they could've changed it LESS. BUT- I don't mind the new ones, just liked the old ones better

7. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    How do those guitars play?

8. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I haven't actually tried one but from what I remember seeing on some Agile forum a while back they are great bang for the buck guitars. I'm tempted to pick one up for 70 bucks and see eventually. They seem to have lots of cool color choices too.

9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I really prefer the old headstock as on the one I got last week. So much so, that I ordered another SJB-75 (this time in Sunburst) - should be here tomorrow. :hyper:

Kurt informed me that the new headstocks should be showing up on basses sometime in May - basically any day now. :meh: He did assure me that he keeps his website up-to-date. If you see it on the website, they still have it. If you don't see it - they don't have it.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    That's where I sit on the issue as well.....

11. I hope they'll put some headless bass for the namm!!!

12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

I don't see any blatant infringement. I don't get it. If anything it could resemble a Stingray headstock somewhat, but that's a stretch of the imagination too, IMO. I did tell Kurt I was ordering another so quickly because I simply didn't like the new headstocks (and left it at that). I hope his sales don't decline over it.

100_1177.

13. i actually like the new 'stocks

14. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I would agree... that isn't a Fender headstock but it looks much better than the "current" ones.

15. stl50bsbstk4.

16. hmmm I call there is space for 6 strings on that headstock.

What will be new for SX IMO

SX 51 P
    SX 5 strings(original design)
    SX 6 strings(original design)

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    How did you get these ideas from only a headstock?

18. The 51 P is from the SX thread (verified rumor that Kurt is working on the idea)

The others are a suposition because the new SX headstock looks huge.:bassist:

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    oooph. shame. That new hed design screams of 1991 metal guitar, not Jazz bass. is Steve Vai the new rep/designer?

20. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    not liking them quite as much really.
    im glad i got one with the old headstock before they got bought or changed over.