Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX or Brownsville?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Lone Strang, Jul 13, 2005.

1. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    I am an acoustic guitar player who is wanting a bass to play around with and teach my 16 year old son how to play. I have visited rondo and others looking for an innexpensive(cheap) bass that's still worth playing. Lots of props go to SX, yes I read at least most of the mega-thread, but I am wondering if anyone is familiar with Brownsville bass guitars. There is one at samash that looks like a 60's copy for about the same or a little more as a jazz bass at rondo.

So, does anyone have any preferences? advice? stay-aways? Between these two guitars?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Go with Sx, those are great basses for the buck. Brownsville is just like any other brands along the lines of Johnson, Drive, etc..... just throwaway beginner basses. While the Sx can go a long way.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Not to dispute you Page, because the SX are well regarded, but I'd be willing to bet the Sx, Brownsville, Rogue, Johnson, etc, are all made at the same factory.......

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Im a fiddler and like low cost guitars that play or act like the big name makers. I have played or owned New york Pro, Galveston etc. I tryed the Brownsvilles at Sam ash and thought they were ok for the money...but i just got my first SX jazz a couple of weeks ago and Man what a great piece for the bucks...i paid $100.00 and this bass is my main player and i will order more. You held the Brownsville ...played it but cannot play or see an SX so its tough...but i say go with the SX. Compare the MIM Fenders to the Brownsville and you will see a very close comparison to an SX form the Fender.

5. Well...................your probaly right. Ive noticed however that all of the Sx's ive come across have been of better quality than any brownsvilles and johnsons ive played.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is true. I had a Johnson J and did my signature stage spin move and the neck snapped off... acting like a mace at the end of the strings, the neck took out the drummer and both guitar players, as well as a big divot out of the back of the lead singer's head. He didn't notice tho, just kept singing the wrong words out of tune, but the others were a tragic loss. Anyway, now, I use an SX and have no such problem... except for the recurring nightmares... Johnson... *sob*... never again...

[size=-3](ok, yeah, i'm just kidding)[/size]

7. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    If they are amde at the same factory i agree there is a huge quiality difference from Johnsons etc. None of the other lines hold a candle to an SX for the sound and quaility. If you dont belive me compare.

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah, props to the SX. I have a Lake Placid Blue 5-string Jazz and it's awesome.

IMHO the newer headstocks are ugly, but nothing a scroll saw and some sandpaper can't fix....

You'll probably want some fretwork done at some point, but that's going to be true of any instrument in this price range. Whaddaya want fer nothin'? If the player is a beginner it won't matter.

The bass cost me $120, and a year later I finally decided to have my luthier do a fretjob on it. It's at the shop now.

The fretwork will cost more than the bass did, but hey...at the end of the day I'm still out less than $300, and the thing will be superb!

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Vics... LMAO...thats a hoot would of liked to of seen that..was it at a live show? I always thought the Johnsons were a decent bass but they go for close to $200.00 for the jazz around here and it still is not as good as an SX. Man thats a funny story. :D I dont mind the new head stocks i have one on my jazz and kinda like it...makes it stand out more than the reg old rounded Fender headstock.

10. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    No, none of those are made at the same factory. Besides, they'd still be put together in different ways, from different specs, still making differences in all ways.

But no, they're not made in the same factory.

-Eric.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, and the drummer would've been safe behind his cymbals, but he was leaning way out over his kit checkin' out the three ultra-hotties flashing us from the front row. Final words were: "Woah! Check out that blonde in the middle with the..." (tho we didn't bother to tell his family that part).

[size=-3](ok, yeah, i'm still kidding)[/size]

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    LOLOLOL what was the crowds reaction? I looked at your gear and band site and im guessing this was a few years ago...man you have some fine gear. :eek: ..it must of been before the stuff you use now.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, the hot blonde was so stunned, she forgot to put her top back on, so that was all good, but as soon as the crowd realized it was going to be a bass/vocal solo the rest of the night, they got bored and left. I was actually kinda' gettin' into it, but the paramedics were constantly in the way. Dang.

Actually, those are out of date pictures. I traded all those basses even up for two SX Jazz 4 strings. I think I really took the guy, too, but don't tell him. I even got him to throw in a cable. What a sucker.

[size=-3](yep, still kidding, and thanks, I'm very fortunate to have what I have)[/size]

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great story...good website too.. do you play out with your SX and is it stock or mod?

15. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i really hate the new headstocks on the SX.. whew.. UGLY..

i'd like to get a 5 string JBass, but that new HS is horrible..

does anyone know where i can get one of the old HS ones??

16. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    http://www.rondomusic.net/partsbodies.html

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Hey, I got'em to play'em. Except for the 2 inch lag bolts I've put through the neck joint (call me paranoid), and the three skulls on each one as a memorial, they're dead stock... oh, sorry...

[size=-3](yep, still kidding, hope you find it funny when you finally notice these tags...)[/size]

18. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks, all, it looks like I am leaning toward the SX P-Bass with the two pickups. I have heard that the P-Bass is better than the J because it has less single hum, but is that a problem with the bridge single added?

19. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    The answer is as close as your nearest Home Depot.

1) Scroll saw.
    2) Sandpaper.
    3) Varnish or equivalent.

This ain't rocket surgery.

20. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Vics...great stuff...keeps me laughing i hope you added some PL400 along with the 2"lags you never know when a nut might back off and you will have another bass takes out band incident. HEY...who likes the new headstocks??????????? they are Purty...i love em :D