SX Or Fender MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hey, I have 200 dollars to spend on a bass, and I really want a new bass, Not only is my ibanez huge and heavy, Its come to my atention that the volume knob is dirty, and the tone knob just doesnt' work. I didn't notice it until I played a bass at the store. Turning the volume down produced a clean sound, unlike my bass. I asked my bass teacher if there was anyway to fix it, and he said yes but it would be hard. And I would need to take it somewhere, its not worth it to me.

Anyways, I found a used Fender MIM for 200 ish dollars, and it was just nicked up. No big deal really. And I would slap a tort pickguard on it and that would be it. Or I could buy an SX Jazz Bass New and a hardshell case for it. For a little less than the Fender.

Im leaning towards the fender just becuase of the name, im like that, so unless the SX is so superior to the MIM than im going to go for the fender. What do you guys think?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'd go for the Fender.
  3. MIM +1

I got MIM fretless, and its fine. You can swap out stuff and upgrade it if you get picky. Check neck and dead spots, take your time to set it up if needed before purchase (neck relief, action, intonation). If its vibrant and no dead spots, and no mechanical faults, I'd go for it.
  4. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah I think im gonna swing down to the store tommorow and see what else they've got. Every single band around here, their bassists use a P or J bass in black, and its so boring. I want something diffrent. Than again im not that picky. I saw a white Ibanez P-bass for 150, slap a tort pickguard on that...mmmm tasty.

The only other thing I played that was pretty nice was the OLP Musicman. Im going to check for dead spots and malfunctions since I know they have bad reps. Only the good ones have really good reps.
  5. I guess I'll be the odd ball.. I have both a MIM Jazz and SX Jazz.. I would go for the SX jazz anyday over the MIM
  6. you americans must get the better essex's....cos i played a mim jazz yesterday and i loved it...the sx's over here sound and play like crap
  7. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Try a few MIMs to find a good one and then buy it.
  8. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    SX all the way. you took a chance on a used the used IBz and look what happened. The SX is better than the Fender and i have owned both and is new in the can pick a color style and even have enough to get a case. Kurt has a 30 day return. Like alot of things in life never buy on brand name alone there are plenty of small companys that produce good if not better products for less money than a brand name item. Levis are great but the $8.00 jeans i buy here do the same fit better and last as long :D We here the overseas SX are junk but not the babies here look at the mega thread!!!!!!
  9. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Ok well, My ibanez....was not used, it was brand new when I bought it. I just wasn't paying attention to detail. So please get your stories strait. Anyways, I Dont know when im going to have time to go to NJ, maybe tommorow before my bass lesson I'll have a little time.

Anyways, Im going to play the fender and the peavy basses. And the OLP and im going to pick out of those ones witch I'll get. I Need the bass sooner than I thought, so I can't order an SX.
  10. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    The Fender MIM is twice the bass the SX is.

Not sure? Like at each on the used market, and see what each brings.
  11. Not sure if I really agree with that.. Unfortunatly, when compairing anything to Fender, you can't go by the market because Fender has name recognition.

Its really apples and oranges. My personal preference, I would sell my MIM jazz for another SX anyday. Some people get frustrated and dont want to spend the time or money getting the SX up and running. Most people just want to play out of the box. If this is the case, then MIM is probably right..
  12. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    SX + some upgrades. :smug:
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A MIM for $200 even with some wear is a deal.
  14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    two basses,in my opinion the same bass,the difference? the price,why you need pay more in a Fender MIM when you can buy a decent SX and you have money in your pocket for a case or upgrades,i have a SX and my friend have a MIM and the build quality is basically the same,SX,the price is the best,not MIM no Squier can beat.
  15. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I like how you said you want to be different, so you go for a different colored Fender. Wow, totally different. Your originality is astounding. How about you get a bass that actually has some personality.

(I will be flamed)
  16. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    If you know how to do basic set up, get an SX. If you can do advanced set up, then get an SX for sure.

MIM Fenders only fetch so much on the used market because of the name on the headstock. I'm willing to bet that if someone like Nino Valenti took an SX and gave it a workover, then put his name on the headstock, it'd be worth alot more than it would with "SX" written on the headstock.

If you're planning to upgrade the hell out of it anyway, then get an SX. If you aren't, then get the Fender. The reason SX's are so great, is that they're good quality build material for cheap. Once you replace the electronics, you easily have something as good as an MIM fender.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer. A MIM Fender's gonna absolutely kill anything with an "SX" on the headstock, and give you resale to boot!

SXes are great for what they are but a used MIM destroys a new SX.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ummm... I don't think so. :)