Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX P 5 + GK = :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jondog, May 30, 2005.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I thought about posting this in the megathread, but I'm so happy w/ this bass that it deserves its own thread :)

This is a floor model SX "P" 5 that I bought for $100 at Rondo. It's obviously not a real P 5 because it has J pups. I think the J pups are 4 string size. I think the whole neck might be 4 string size because the spacing is 16 mm. There are several small flaws -- the center body piece has a different grain than the edge one, I had to reglue the nut, the G string tuner has funny chroming, there are some scratches on the back because the saleskid dropped it right in front of me . . .

NONE of these flaws matter because this is an awesome bass!!! I bought it because I wanted a cheap 5 to install a GK pup into, and I ended up with a new #1 bass! I'm not a pro installer so you can see the hole I put through the back when drilling the hole for the wiring, there's 2 screwdriver gouges next to the pup, and I cracked the side putting in the 13 pin GK jack (can't see it in pix). I've used it at two rehearsals and 1 show now -- I played it for all 3 sets it felt so good. I've found that I really notice the difference between 34" and 35" scale. My PV GV5 is 35" and I have small hands so I prefer the feel on the SX, goodbye PV! The original pups sound great! I removed the tone knob and wired both to the same volume. I always blend the natural tone w/ the GK modeled tone. I left off the GK up/down buttons because I never use them, but I had to include the led because they are cool. And look at the neck and headstock! Real tiger maple on a $100 bass!!! Thank you Rondo :hyper:

Attached Files:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    This is the old-style SX headstock, I like it better than the new one.

Attached Files:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The GK electronics fit in the existing cavity perfectly, which is a good thing because if I did this much damage with a drill I'm afraid of what would've happened with a router.

Attached Files:

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    last pic

Attached Files:

6. Jon, great going guy! I love to see fellows take up the gauntlet and make it happen! You did it the right way - took the right instrument based on your skills and thought it through. The drill accident aside, this experience will make it easier the next time something comes up and the tech says "It'll be 3 weeks and $100 to install that!"

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wait...why did they have a pbass with jazz pickups and stuff?

On the other hand, great find...and I like it.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks guys. It was a fun project and I think it came out great! $100 would not have been too much to pay to have somebody install it right though :) I didn't get estimates but I figured it'd be a lot more based on what the guy charged me for installing my Kahler awhile ago.

Minger, I dunno what they were thinking making a P w/ J parts. My only idea is that people were asking for a 5er P and it was too expensive to design a 5 string P pup (they're not very common, I don't think the average Chinese parts supplier stocks them) so they just used J pups. Here's the link
    http://www.rondomusic.net/spb6241.html

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Doh...now I feel stupid...never realized thats why it said P on the site; it was for the body...lol.

Anyways, I think i was just a little confused because I was like what the heck is that right above the bridge between that and the bridge pickup...but whatever I guess.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That's the Roland GK pickup that I installed. It drives the V-Bass floor processor.