Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX P-bass? How do they sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 27, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does the SX P-bass even come close to nailing the Fender P-bass sound?

~Patrick

2. hey pat, I ordered the geddy. it should be at the shop waiting for me in about a week

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes. The stock pickups are surprisingly good, but I installed a Fender '62 reissue pickup in mine and it sounds great. Either way you will get a Fender P sound.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Better than Squier?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes beter than a Squier. Someone on TB in the past changed the pickups to Fender ones and there was no noticeable sound difference really.

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That was probably me. I made a recording with the original pickup, then made one with the Fender pickup, and there was very little difference. The Fender was a little warmer, but certainly not enough difference to make it worth the money I spent on the pickup.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe, probably was then. Good to hear, good to hear. I have a fretless SX P that hasnt been getting much playing time lately because ive really been into advancing my slapping lately but it has its moments ;)

8. Essex basses are great instruments regarding sound. But if you want a truly great feeling bass it needs some work,
    You need to do a setup: neck relief, action, new strings, pick-up height everything needs to be done. Maybe you'll even need to file some high frets. But once you go through that they are great instruments.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine sounds like a decent P bass. :bassist:

10. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    mine was pretty good out of the box (although a pickup had fallen through the cover) but i replaced the pickup recently with seymour duncans, which i got for free. it sounds like a p-bass, but mine seemed to lack some bottom end.

11. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have two Essex P's (one regular-scale, plus a short-scale P purchased for my 8-yo son), and I've removed the pups from both. IMHO, they are a bit weak.

But the Essex is still a heck of a value. As for mine:

- $110 for fretless, maple-fretboard P (plus $20 shipping)
    - $50 for SD Quarter-Pound P-bass pup set (plus $4 sales tax)
    - 2-3 hours doing (and fine-tuning) the setup items QC mentioned above
    - String change (but I would have done this to almost ANY bass)

So, for ~$200 total (plus no more than 6 hours of sweat equity, and only that because I'm a tweaker), I have a great-sounding, alder-bodied, maple-necked fretless P that I wouldn't hesitate to use in *any* situation....

12. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ive refrained from commenting on the SX for a while but i see a lot of people here talking about adjusting the neck. My guitarist friend, who knows and does everything, has had mine for a month now and still hasnt gotten it right. It may never happen. I had never before run into an instrument that couldnt be tuned.
    Now i bring this to a pro, where's the savings? I live in New York, nobody does nuttin here for $20-$30 like i see some mentioning here.
    Otherwise the SX P is very nice. Sounds great. Unless you're listening.

13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry you had problems with yours. Mine just needed a few minor tweaks and it plays and sounds great. I guess there are bad ones out there, but if you read the Essex Megathread you will see most people really like them.

14. What wood is used in the body of an SX?

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Alder.