Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX P-Bass-Maple or Rosewood Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Aug 17, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm getting ready to order an SX P-bass, but I can't decide if I should get the one with the Maple fretboard or the Rosewood

I'm leaning towards the maple because it looks cool with the black finish. But I really want the one that is better quality.

questions----

1. Does anyone here have any knowledge as to which one would be of better QUALITY and workmanship? The Maple or the rosewood.

2. Will a standard Fender pickguard fit on the SX ?

3. Is it pretty much a consensus here that the SX P bass is better than the Squire Affinity P bass?

2. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    id personally go for the rosewood since the maple fingerboards on SX p basses seem overly laquered to me and too yellowy. its just a matter of personal preference. i wound up buying an sx p with rosewood neck and swapping it with a mightymite maple/maple neck with a clear satin wood finish. When i changed the pickguard on my sx p i had to sand it down by the neck pocket for it to fit, other than that it went in perfectly.

3. Ive got a 2 SX jazzes.. One with rosewood and one with maple.. I prefer the sound of the rosewood one better (on essex basses atleast)

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Depends on what kind of sound you want. The maple board will have a brighter tone than the rosewood.

5. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    From what I've heard, the Affinity basses suck. I've never played one, though. As to the pickguard, a standard Jazz guard does not fit on my SX Jazz, though I believe it would with some reshaping.

~ Keef

•

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd go with rosewood, but that's just personal preference. I like to darker tone more, it's more traditional, and it just "feels" better to me. With a maple neck (non-figured anyway), I Feel like I'm playing a neck that isn't finished yet. That it still needs the fretboard.

7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Afinity pbasses are subpar. I had one and it was not a quality instrument. In fairness I must admit that it was a 90's model and had a plywood body. I think they are made of real wood now.

I would say go for the SX. I have not used thier p basses, but my brothers sx jazz is worlds ahead of the afinity I owned, and it cost less than a squire.

8. goatrider

goatrider

Mar 7, 2005
    I went with the sx-57p with a maple neck. It is very heavily laquered, but it has a cool yellowy-gold tint to it. It plays pretty well, and has less buzz than my MIM Jazz Bass. I don't think I'd be able to tell much difference between rosewood and maple as far as sound goes. I feel sound has more to do with your amp than the neck of your bass. I put Seymour Duncan Basslines in mine and it sounds just about as good as any p-bass I've ever played (23 years experience). Well, that's my two cents.

9. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm not so much interested in the difference in SOUND between the 2 as I am in the quality of the material and workmanship.
    Does either the maple or the rosewood stand out as a "better" built neck?

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm pretty sure they're both as good as the other, although Maple is a more dense wood...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Unless one neck is bound and the other isn't, the quality should be nearly independent of the wood used for the fingerboard.

2. No. A copy would need to be made of your original guard to ensure a proper fit.

3. Yes, just about anything is better than an Affinity Precision.