1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX P Bass Modifications?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savlaaar, Aug 1, 2018.

1. savlaaar

savlaaar

Aug 1, 2018
    Long time lurker, 1st time poster! Be gentle!

Managed to pick myself up a SX P Bass pretty cheap! (think i've attached the pic!).

What modifications would you recommend in order of importance? I'm really tempted to put the EMG Geezer PUPs in, but i'm not sure if it's worth it unless I also change the bridge? The bridge and nut seem of particularly cheap quality (expected), but the neck and frets all look good! Be interested in peoples experience with some mods they've made and whether or not they think it was worth it. Tuners seem ok.

I'm happy to drop £100-£125 on it as i got it so cheap....

Attached Files:

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

congrats on your new ax! i don't get the connection between new/different pup's and the bridge(?).

important mods for me = playability/comfort, e.g., re-profiling the neck, 3D bridge, fixing tuner issues, etc.
    fun mods for me = changing all hardware to black!

for every ax i've modded: the modifications ended up costing more than the instrument, but: the ax ended up playing superbly for me = no regrets!

good luck with your decisions/mods! :thumbsup:

3. savlaaar

savlaaar

Aug 1, 2018
    Thank you sir! For the bridge i was just thinking is it really worth chucking in £80 pickups if your bridge is pretty crappy.....

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

they are two separate issues as i see it: i'd change the pickups to get better/different sounds/tones, punch, etc. i might change the bridge if: there was an actual problem with it, or if i wanted a 'better' one, or aesthetics (shape/color), etc.

if your bridge works: you might very well be ahead to get pickups which you think would give you a "better sounding" ax. but if your goal is to limit the amount of money you put into mods = do nothing --- and rock it the way it is! ;)

savlaaar and Marihino like this.
  5. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    I'm with @JRA on this. There probably isn't anything wrong with the bridge. Or, for that matter, with the pickup. I bought SX jazz recently in beautiful sage green (the shop had a few Ps including one looking like yours too) and I'm super happy with how it sounds - and it's got some tough comparison to pass since I've had many good jazzes and one that stayed is an old Japanese Marcus Miller sig with CS pickups and Sadowsky preamp. The SX compares just fine. If I ever swap the pickups, it will be to get rid of the hum in all positions, soundwise they are good and getting something else might not be an actual upgrade. On the other hand, the fretwork is bad and that's an area I will invest some time into. At some point I will definitely get a Hipshot D-tuner. Maybe swap all tuners if time proves they need it. So, playability and functionality.
    By all means, upgrade the pickup if you don't like what you hear, but I'd suggest give it a few weeks before you decide.

savlaaar, dabbler and JRA like this.
  6. Yeah fretwork is the only real complaint I've had for SX stuff. Not the pickups or anything else. They use cheap hardware and components but it all works. That's half the fun IMO.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    An SX P was my number one bass for many years. The two modifications I made were: 1) new set of strings; 2) swapped the pickguard from white to black.

Good luck with your new bass! :)

reddog and savlaaar like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Lot low price bass come with this kind of bridge, like Ibby GSR, yamaha TRBX 17x and Cort Action . Nothing wrong actually.
    The tort guard is match with blue which i prefer.
    Just give it a set of fresh Fender 7250ML and SD SPB-1 to wake it sound up!

savlaaar likes this.
  9. Things that I have done..or need to do on my SX jazz. 1-4 is a must, the last two are just my preferences. The level of the frets were pretty good on the bass I have.
    1. Changed electronics with better parts. Find kits on tha 'Bay with CTS pots, switchcraft jacks, orange drop caps, and cloth covered wiring.
    2. New nut cut from bone, cattle not human.
    3. Complete intonation setup. The bridge needed to be moved back.
    4. Shielded cavity with paint and copper tape. I have a DIY recipe for graphite paint if you need it.
    5. Pick guard and knob change, just cosmetic issues with me. The pick guard didn't match up to the control plate.
    6. Lowered frets (think 70's Les Pauls), crown and level. (This is the next step, on the to-do list)

10. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    First off, you got one of my FAVorite solid color basses. :thumbsup: Secondly, these are the only mods I have done to any of my SX Ps:

1. Shielding.
    2. Straploks.
    3. On a a couple, I did a series/parallel mod on the pup. A P pup wired in parallel with flats gives an awesome natural kinda acoustic-sounding tone... especially on a fretless one.

I've been a little more adventurous with my SX Js, active electronics, new pups, new bridge, new string tree, new tuners. But the Ps don't need much, really.

And I have had a bit of experience with SX basses... Js AND Ps. ;)

11. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I replaced the stock pups in mine with DiMarzio DP-127s which have blades instead of pole pieces. I did this partly because the stock pup pole pieces didn't align properly with the strings, which made achieving even string response problematic.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020