SX P-Bass "The Trooper" Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 16, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok well here it is kiddies. My review of the heavily modifyed SX P-Bass aka The Trooper that was done by TB's very own Hambone. pics and other info here

Features: 10
    Very Similar to the Fender Steve Harris Bass. Badass Bridge. Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pound pickup, fully sheilded control cavity, volume and tone controls. Maple neck with "The Trooper" decal in Iron Maiden font. Gotoh Vintage Syle tuners, Schaller straplocks, black phenolic nut and black pickguard with custom matching knobs. Probably the best feature about this bass is all the threaded inserts Hambone put in this bass. The neck, bridge and strap pegs all a have threaded inserts to ensure that the holes will never strip and will hold things in place forever.

Sound: 8
    This is my first ever passive P-bass. I play a stringray and a Jazz bass that I can get lots of high end out of, but I've been looking to get that old school thumpy sound that you get out of a P-bass. This bass doesn't dissappoint there. I used the bass today at band practice, it held up great in some songs, for others I did prefer to use my jazz.

Action Fit & Finish:10+
    I think this is the area where the bass really shines. When I recieved the bass the action was super, super low, I admit I did have to raise it up a bit. Hambone had to give the SX replacement neck used on this bass a complete fret leveling and I must say He did an excellent job at that. Nicest fretwork of any bass I've played. Everything Fits like a glove on this bass and the Finish on the neck, which Hammy did himself, is just like the one on my Geddy.

Reliability/Durability: N/A
    Of course I havent even had this bass for a week, so I cant comment on how reliable it will be in the future. My guess is this thing will take a licking and keep on ticking. All of the screws are stainless steel, the threaded inserts will never quit and all the other high quality parts used on this bass are built to last so I dont believe that will be a problem.

Customer Service: 10
    If you dont know Hambone, then do yourself a favor and introduce yourself lol. Seriously Allan is a great guy, he really works with you and makes sure everything is done right. He really has great Ideas and makes sure that you're 100% happy with his work. Definatly one of the Cooler guys here on TB

Overall: 9.8
    Overall this thing blew me away when I first saw how it all came together. Its loads of fun to play, real lightweight and real thumpy sounding even with roundwounds. Although I think I'm still partial to my Geddy Lees tone when it comes to playing with my punk band, this bass beats it when it comes down to looks and feel. Its a gig worthy axe that can definatly hold its own. Thats my review all, hope you enjoy.
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    What does all that work end up costing? I'd like to have something similar done to a white J-bass, if I ever get a white J-bass.

Looks very good. I'm suprised to think that that was once just an SX.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I would like to know how mcuh it costed too. :)
  4. niiiiiiiIIIIIIIiiiiiiIIiIIiIIIIIIIiIIIiiiice!!!!!!!!!
  5. looks like your "ES"sex is a "SUC"cess (say that 10 times fast)

I really like the ideas put forth for this project.

When I saw a closeup of that fretboard my jaw hit the FLOOR!

6. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks alot guys. I dont think it would be good for me to say any prices, but I will say that Hambone was very, very genorous with what he charged me.
  7. Well, here's a chance for you guys to teach the ol' Bone something new. When Henry told me about his style of play, he mentioned he did a lot of tapping and the like and I took that to mean needing a pretty low action, if only to maintain the fluidity and speed necessary to do that in his genre of music. I take it that I'm a little off on my assumption? Of course everything like this is a very personal preference but does this style benefit from a more medium range of string height rather than a very low action like I initially set this one?

My only other experience with tapping is my friend Jason (bassmonkee) who taps with 4 fingers, plucks with 4 others, frets with a toe, and does this while sipping a mint julep! He also suffers a bit of wrist and philangeal pain (carpal?) and I believe he uses a fairly low action for his art. That's where I got that idea.