Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX p bass upgrade suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by newworldman86, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I have just ordered my very own short scale P bass from the folks at rondo, and of course with all the money i have saved as apposed to buying a name brand one, i can afford some upgrades!
    I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be done to make this a very origonal and great bass for most styles (although i usualy play hard rock and metal). Right now im thinking of putting in a dimarzio split p and maybe a model one down the line for more beef. Also concidering a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder with maybe a rick humbucker or a phase 2 humbucker right by the neck for again added beef. Any suggetions would be great. I plan on using Rotosound flats if that helps.

2. play it for awhile the way it is, you may not really need any upgrades (except for strings).

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    +1

If you really want new pickups, check out the Pickups-FAQ at the top of this forum, there is a link to P-pickup reviews.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey, you and I think alike! I got a SX p-bass shortscale about 3 weeks ago. Sunburst. Pretty bloody nice for the price.

Here is the mods I've done:

-Hipshot ultralite tuners
    -SD quarter pounders
    -all new wiring and pots.. CTS, switchcraft jack.
    -changed the knobs to strat style... I like having numbers for accuracy
    -LaBella 760FL strings
    - I havent yet decided but I may put a high mass bridge on
    -black pickguard.. the size of the pickguard is very unusual so basically you either paint the stock or make your own. I am making my own b/c I think the paint will not hold up after awhile.

Currently this bass sounds too muddy so I am looking at doing some changes such as omitting the tone knob from the circuit and replacing the vol. knob with a 500k. I put 250k in, but i think it should have a 500k value like it was stock.

Oh yeah, I also put a little canadian flag sticker over the "junior series" text on the headstock.

5. Gotta love that Canadian flag! I was thinking of putting maybe a quarter pounder and one of the basslines humbuckers on there, possibly on the neck for a deeper sound. Does anyone know if its possible to do your own inlays. I was thinking of painting it black, and then getting sharkfin lays on the neck. That would be great looking.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just a warning... if you put humbuckers near the neck I think you are going to get a big muddy tone. Keep in mind that because shortscales have a lower string tension the sound is a little muddier to start with. I am finding this to be true. After some experimentation, based on the results, I may add a jazz bridge pup to get more highs. Then I can blend it in if or when required.

7. in my opinion, when you start modding EVERYTHING on the bass, you might as well just buy a raw body and start from there.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^123.

But one thing I think you really need to put on (and it's cheap) is a new nut. The school has two SX basses, both the plastic nuts have being worn right down so that fret buzz is a major pain. Put a nice bone or brass one in there for a few bucks.

9. were could i get a new nut? also, you have a good point on the low string tension. i just figured it would be cool to have a billysheehan sound on a short scale. well, i guess that puts my best bets as basslines quarter pounder and jazz, or humbucker on neck for that deluxe precision sound, or a Dimazio split p with an ultra jazz. i could consider the Nordstrand. anyone here try it. the only thing is that i would like something with a more modern sound, hence the split p which is actualy two humbuckers in a p shape. thanks for all the imput!

10. I was actualy thinking of doing this, but i could not find many short scale necks, or bodies. I realy have been needing to get a shortscale for a while as im only 5'4" and i have small hands( man did i pick the wrong instuments, cello, bass, piano :rollno: ).

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    You'll have a hard time finding a finished neck and body for $100.

Dave

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    exactly.

13. I upgraded my black SX with Dimarzio Will Power neck and middle pups, fitted a pearloid pickguard and gave the neck a good rub down with 0000 grade steel wool. I also fitted a badass bridge, hipshot d-tuner and rotosound strings. It looks the goods and sounds fantastic. The only problem I had was with fret buzz. A couple of the higher frets were not seated properly, but a few generous taps with a rubber mallet fixed that! The stock nut was chewed out just from tuning the strings, so I had my first go at making a brass nut. I used the instructional book from stewmac.com, and the end result is very pleasing. In the end, I didn't spend anywhere near as much as I would have on an Attitude Ltd II, but it's wise to have a little bit of woodworking knowledge and guitar repair experience when buying one of these basses. The good thing is, if you badly damage the neck, you can get a new one for $40!

Pete