Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX P Idea (last one, I promise)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    so, a few days ago I was looking at Rondo, and I noticed that I really like the P bass sound, and looks, but I hate the feel of the neck. I've been GASing for one of these for quite some time (ever since hambone put the Steve Harris clone up). My idea is to make a good backup bass, and to make a good all around 4 stringer.

I know I'm going to spend a little more that $400, and that's fine with me because I happen to have that kind of money lying around, and I can't get this for a few months anyway.

I've been playing alot of fretless basses everytime I go to GC, and I love, them, I can't put them down. My mom/friends have to wrench the bass out of my hands to get me to stop, I just love them so much.

Because I want a fretless, and I want a new 4, (probably around april), I've decided that I can get an SX P, and buy an SX J fretless neck. I'll be getting rosewood for both the necks to try and get the best fit, but I know I'll have to do some modding to get a decent fit.

I want to put a SD Basslines quarter pounder pickup in there, a badass II bridge, Fender tuners, Gotoh straplocks, chrome knobs, a vintage wiring kit, an extra large bridge cover for the badass (I love the look of the bridge covers and pickup covers, but it'd be too difficult to play with the pup cover IMO), and a tort pickguard, so I'm pretty much going for a 60's bass look but new age.

anything wrong?

if you see anything wrong with the parts, I'd love for you to tell me.

Thanks,

Greg

2. This one is quite simple...

Black P-bass screams tort guard...

Parts-wise, they're solid...Have you considered Grover tuners? I like these...:)

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    yah, I like grover's too, but I like gotoh's better. plus, they're cheaper.

hmm, I do like tort and black, but an all chrome/black color scheme is also cool...I'll wait for more people's opinions.

classic 60's, lol.

Greg

4. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    Go for the tort. To me it just looks classier than a chrome pickguard.
    On a related note, ever since the Traben Basses have been out on the market I have been liking chrome on a Bass less and less. Those Traben bridges with the chrome Flames that cover half the body seemed cool at first glance but as I see them more and more they look like something that's a fugitive from "Monster Garage" or "Pimp My Ride". So definately the Tort, Leave the chrome for the Harley Pipes and the Dodge Ram grills ! :smug:

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I want to put a SD Basslines quarter pounder pickup in there, a badass II bridge, Gotoh tuners, Gotoh straplocks, chrome knobs, a vintage wiring kit, and an extra large bridge cover for the badass (I love the look of the bridge covers and pickup covers, but it'd be too difficult to play with the pup cover IMO).
    You need to get the tortoise pickguard, theres no going around that, second, u should leave out the tuners, cuz the stock ones will be fine, and leave the pickcover off, or buy a bass with one already on. Good luck wiht you project, i am doing close to the same with my sx jazz bass.

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I changed the tuners to Fender ones, because they're chrome, and not nickel. I also changed the pickguard to tort, it's an extra 20 bucks, but it'll look better.

Greg

7. if youre going for a neo modern look, you could try to get a tort colored pearl pickguard, just an idea

and i would ditch the bridge cover, show off the badass!

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    nah, I like them too much not to have one, but if it was a jazz it wouldn't be there.

Greg

9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Check out Jazzbassman23's post in this thread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220051
    He says "And keep in mind, what no one on any of these threads seems to mention about the SX basses, is that the SX jazz basses DO NOT have jazz profile necks. They are not 1.5" at the nut. To me that is huge."
    It looks like the fretless necks on rondo are 1 9/16 at the nut. So the replacement will be 2/16th narrower than the P neck, but may not have the exact feel you are looking for.

10. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hmm...well the size at the nut shouldn't conflict with the heel dimensions right? If the neck is too thick for me I'll sand it down to make it more like I want it.

Greg

11. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    With all the money that you're going to spend why don't you just get a MIM P/J combo? You'll get the Pbass Pickup with a J bass bridge and a J neck. Or is there somthing that I'm missing?

You could also use Warmoth parts and do the smae thing...but you'd end up spending more money.

Chad

12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    what you're missing is the upgraded pickups, bridge, tuners, and pickguard. So if I put that into a MIM P, then it'd be more like 800 instead of 400.

Greg

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I don't think a different of 1/16" will be even the least bit noticeable.