1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX P/J Bass - needs replacement pups, BUT....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougb256, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm
    My situation: I have a small home studio for my wife and myself. Last summer I bought one of those $120 SX P/J basses and it's pretty decent, *except* that the pups have a funny overtone that I just don't like.

I'd like some suggestions for replacements. I'm a 60s/70s vintage tone lover (where is that James Jamerson set?) using T-I flatwounds. I'd like to keep the cost no higher than $100. I use the P-bass pup a lot more than the J-bass pup, so it doesn't have to be a set.

Oh, and if anyone has an Ampeg B100R that they'd like to dump for, say, $150? ;)

Thanks!

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    The seymour duncan antiquities are pretty vintage sounding from what ive read about them

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Considering your price range, just get Seymour Duncan SPB-1 for P-bass and SJB-1 for Jazz. These supposedly provide classic vintage tone, and based on my great experience with an SPB-2 (a heavily overwound SPB-1), I'm comfortable recommending them. I read one review on TB saying the SJB-1 sounded better than some boutique brands.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I should have mentioned you could also try Duncan's Classic Stack for the J pickup so it will be noiseless. It might cost more, and you could always get your bass properly shielded at installation if you go with the single coil. But I think noiseless J's are a great option.

5. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm
    Thanks guys!