SX Pbass vs OLP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brendanbassix, Dec 26, 2015.

1. I got some pennies for Christmas from the wife to buy a bass and I'm just looking for a cheap beater to leave on a stand/let my daughter and son when he is older play.
    I'm a jazz bass guy and love anything Fender(even named my son Leo, I'm a fanboy and I know it). At the moment I've got two great jazz basses my old trusty Amstd, a CIJ 62 reissue as well as an active Ibanez SR300 which is also a beater but I'll probably be selling it the moment a pedal I want comes up cheap. Anyway these two basses are well in my price range and I can take my lady out to dinner with the change. I wanted a Pbass but I've also wanted a stingray forever and I remember being young and just starting out looking at the OLPs at the local music shop and wanting one but they don't seem to get favourable reviews around here so why? Are they good? Im spending about $100 on it and I really like the colour combo plus it comes with a hardcase and of the two it's the one I really like. The other option is a used SX Pbass they have at a local pawn shop it was what I was going to get originally and hopefully quench my evil thirst for P but then the OLP popped up for even cheaper. I know SX get some glowing reviews around here why? Are they really good? anyway let me know what you think.

2. Oh and these are my only options so don't suggest anything different. I know you might mean well but the used market sucks around here so no squier cv's or music man subs

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    SX P bass is just full of bore IMO. Don't see any reason whatsoever why you wouldn't go for the OLP. While I haven't been exactly following the reviews on them, I can't remember seeing any bad ones. Not sure what the hesitation, or question is about :).

Also, jazz can get pretty close to a P sound. It can't touch a MM sound.

4. angst178

angst178

Oct 22, 2009
    I would try them both of you have the opportunity. You may have already done that.
    A low cost MM copy is less likely to show up again, since almost every company makes a P. And if the used market in your area is as bad as you say, then you'll have a better shot of getting your hands on another in the future.
    That said, I own a SX. I changed the electronics to active and also swapped the pickups. I gave one away to a friend in need and he loved it in his PJ. The other ended up as the bridge pickup in my Fakenbacker. It brought the tone of that bass to life. So the SX might sound better.
    In the end, because low cost bases can be modded without destroying the resale value I would say pick the one with the better feeling neck. That is the one thing that is most difficult to change.
    Bodies can be reshaped, refinished, and have electronics swapped. But the neck shape is pretty much what it is.

5. Yeah I'm a firm believer that a jazz can do a Pbass sound too...Im about 95% on the OLP. I guess the question is what sounds most like the bass it's emulating?

And look at this thing!! (just a pic from Google but same colour combo)
    images-31.jpeg

6. I have tried the SX was ok for a $100 bass and would have been good for what I wanted it for and if the OLP hadn't have popped up I would have been perfectly happy. The OLP on the other hand was just listed on the local classifieds and if I was to try it before that would mean rocking up to the guys house with cash so if that's the case I'll probably just buy it unless someone on here has a horror story about how bad they are and how after a few years they fall apart.

And yes the used market around here is that bad I live in a fairly small city in Australia and people list maybe two or three basses a day and they are usually over priced squiers or over priced Metal basses with jagged edges and skull inlays and while there's nothing wrong with that it's just not my cuppa tea.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I have only played one OLP and I really enjoyed it.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have two SX J bass and an OLP MM copy.
    The OLP has a really good neck although the passive pup is not as versatile as the J’s.

Raw N Low likes this.
  9. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Here are two of my SX basses. Unless you are in love with them, I would go with the OLP. SX basses can be turned into monster basses down the stretch. If bone stock is keeping you on the fence, go OLP.

Attached Files:

10. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I've never played an OLP, but I have two SX basses that I love to death. They're both heavily modded, though. I would get the one that you would have a harder time finding. As was previously mentioned, you can get an approximate P tone from a jazz (not exact, but close), but you'll never get a jazz to sound like a Stingray. The thing is; the OLP probably doesn't sound like a Stingray, either, but I have to imagine it'll get you closer than a P or J will.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    My advice is buy them BOTH and forget dinner! I've got an OLP and I've got a bunch of SX. Either with some effort can be excellent. (Note however mine are all 5 string which limits options.

OLP. It is an excellent stingray copy. However, the one you really want is the last model with the active preamp. Mine is the passive one. Electronics just plain suck. I couldn't get it to sound right until I rewired the whole thing (passive) and it's never going to be REALLY right until I put in a stingray clone preamp of some kind. (note a normal active preamp will NOT do. 'Ray preamps are different) And of course I have one, which is the early Leo model provided to TBers by Uncle Fluffy. I've tested it taped to the outside of the bass and it kills, I just haven't got around to installing it yet. Ultimate is the john East 'ray preamp. However get out wallet! If the OLP you are looking at is the one with the preamp, don't hesitate buy it NOW.

A Ray, is a certain unique thing. When I get into the mood I really dig my OLP, but it's no P bass. It's it's own thing. Great thing to fool with and have in the herd for not many bucks.

SX P. Well, you have the advantage of 4 strings. I've got a pJ 5er but it's a Squier. The Squier has agathis wood which I don't especially like. SX basses (and the OLP) are decent wood like alder or ash (Alder is killer on a P). I've got a SX PJ 5er as well but it's got two jazz pickups and a Jazz neck! What are these people thinking anyway? I really don't get P-basses with jazz pickups. Do they think the tone is all in the pickguard and body shape? In 4 strings my choice would be a SX PJ where the neck pickup is a real P-bass pickup and the bridge pickup is a dual jazz humbucking type. They don't seem to make anything that cool in 5 strings. Lucky you. Or to just satisfy the P-urge a straight SX 4 banger one pickup P-bass should do just fine. Many SX are fine as is (except factory strings are REALLY bad) but it may need a tweak or two, like a nice setup, any fret problems filed down and noisy pots replaced. These are not big deals.

In short, BOTH the SX P and the OLP are unique basses with their own special sound and host of fanboys to go with them. They are as different as can be but I love them both. Hence just apply the rule:

Rule: You can never own too many basses. (especially when you can buy them cheap)

12. Yeah that's what was putting me off, not knowing how close it would sound to an actual ray but I Just got the OLP and it's pretty freaking close to a stingray IMO. I've played a few US models and borrowed a friends sterling ray34 for about a month while he had my cij jazz so I'm familiar with the ray tone and this is pretty good as far as quality and sound go. That being said ive only played it for an hour or so so it my be a honeymoon phase but im pretty happy at the moment :)

13. Yeah but she's the mother of ny children and has worked hard for our family over Christmas so its gonna be dinner and a bass. For a die hard jazz bass nut this sounds close enough to a stingray for me and for $100 bucks with a hardcase I'm not complaining

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    MTFD24 likes this.
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I had that natural olp. Its not bad for 100$ id go get it if i were you...

15. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Well, that's all that's important. I'm glad you're happy with your decision!

brendanbassix likes this.
  16. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Wait, you got a hard case too?? That's a major score for $100!

17. Yeah its a bit scuffed up but it's not bad will keep it safe :). It's a decent bass and a great deal I'm very happy and as the SX bass was in a pawn shop im glad I didn't help them profit on someone else's misery :thumbsup:

18. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Heh... I always used to call pawn shops "misery merchants". I don't shop at pawn shops for guitars. I think the days of making great finds at a pawn shop are over. All I ever see are banged up, low-end Squiers, Deans, Epiphones, etc, all marked at about $20 less than what they cost new.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    If it's the passive model, I can say that when I bought mine at GC they had a couple of "real" (Like $1200) 'Rays there so I compared them. I can say that IF You set the real 'ray "flat" the OLP exactly nails the tone. But of course the real 'Ray is all about EQ and does so much more! Hence, my comments about eventually needing a stingray-style preamp. However, I've had LOTS of fun with mine still in passive mode. It does a great stingray sound even if the versatility isn't there. Enjoy!

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    That IS a major deal! Mine was $100 with no case at all and I was crowing about deal of the century!
    You did good!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021