Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX pickguard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heretic, Jul 16, 2005.

1. First off, sorry if this is i the wrong section. Ok, I'm finally getting around to modding my SX that I've had for about a year. I'm ordering all the parts I need but I'm not sure on the pickguard. I'm wondering if a standard P-bass guard will fit my SPJ-62 (P-bass special) since it has three control knobs, tone/vol/vol, instead of the standard input/tone/vol. Is the input knob in the exact same place as the third knob?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bonus question: I've read that celluloid guard tend to warp over time. Is this true? How long will it last on average?

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    yes, it should be in the same place. I've changed a few pickguards on p-bass specials and they always are.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't believe that a standard Fender pickguard will fit. I remember Kurt saying they are different in the Essex Mega-Thread. I don't feel like searching through 191 pages to find it though...

I don't think it has anything to do with the controls, but it is the shape and the screw hole placement.

4. Well, after searching through a few pages of search results I found the answer:

Drilling new holes isn't that big of a deal, thanks for the help.