Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheNerdBass, Jul 1, 2005.

1. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I was looking at the SX basses and I was wondering how their pickups are. They must hum and buzz like crazy. I can't believe it could be that much of a great sounding bass. Also, with the jazz model, can you get a lot of different tones out of it? like a MIM Jazz? I'd like one of these for a second bass, but it might be a step down from my Ibanez SR300 DX. However, I liked this quote from their site... "...Something they can bring to a friend's house, and not worry about scratching, like they would with a $1000 American made guitar." Thanks for your help! :smug:

(They look awesome though, I'm just a little unsure...)

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    They don't hum and buzz like crazy. The worst mine hums is well, just a tiny bit and the only reason I hear it is because I practice and stuff in my room...at a really low volume. At loud volumes you can't tell, especially in a band situation.

You can get a lot fo tones out them...

Just don't be suprised when you realized there isn't an active preamp and no phat boost like on your bass, and its all good. :D

Why would they hum and buzz like crazy? Just because they're made in China and the price of the bass is dirt cheap? O waitasecond, I know where you're comin from...its cheap. :p

3. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks, I've been reading around and it seems like they are great basses!

4. I dont play guitar, but obviously wanted one, so instead of going out and finding a crappy one for 200. i invested in buying an SX les paul copy. and if the basses are made anything like the guitars. you should be happy with your purchase. Good tone for a good price. sure its no real les paul. but its a great instrument.

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    [rant]

Look. I'm a guy who's owned three MIA Fender Jazzes and a ton of copies built from parts ranging from Warmoth to Ibanez to Carvin to Dimarzio to damn near Hondo parts. I have yet to build a copy/parts bass that didn't sound and play better than all my Fenders combined. And none of those Fenders were horrid instruments.

At the end of the day, almost every passive Fender ever made is a cross between a Pinewood Derby car and some parts from the electronics kit you may have owned as a kid.

It's a kit bass that comes pre-assembled. Period. And that's what Leo intended for it to be. It. Ain't. That. Hard. To. Duplicate. What he did was get the ergonomics right the first time, and provide the only electric bass that was widely available for a reasonable price at the time. And then he patented it. Done and done. Do they have tradition? You bet. Do they sound good? Absolutely. Is there some magical pixie dust that keeps any other instrument made since from being as good? Hell, no. Dont think for a minute that you can't get the same or better quality out of an old Tokai, Yamaha or early Ibanez copy.

The simple fact is that we all grew up hearing this bass, and subconsciously, that's what "bass" became. If Gibson had tried to build 34" scale basses that balanced well, instead of sticking a longer neck on what is essentially a guitar body, we'd be talking about Gibsons right now. Ergonomics, opportunity and timing was what made the P and J bass what they are today, not any secret lutherie skills known only to Fender builders. Where a lot of the imports fall short is in construction, fretwork, and overall quality of parts. In other words, they did what Leo did with even cheaper parts, with even cheaper labor, and the finished product reflected that input.

I don't own an SX. But I know that the quality of imported instruments has risen twentyfold since the early days, and I while I wouldn't expect the pups to sound like Dimarzios or Lane Poors or Nordstrands or Fralins (you'll notice that I didn't say Fender), I wouldn't necessarily expect them to hum simply because they didn't come outa Fullerton.[/rant]

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You get the usual J hum when only one pickup is turned up. Other than that it's a good guitar. Might even make your Ibanez feel insecure.

7. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks again for all your help! I have no doubts about this bass now, I'm even thinking about selling the old Ibanez. I need money for vintage white pickguard. :smug:

8. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    When I put on my aluminum pickguard it starts to hum pretty loud. When I turn down the volume for the top pup it goes away but its still there alittle.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't understand the aluminum pickguard part and how that introduces noise, but you may want to ground that too...0.o

10. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Note to self:

Don't get an aluminum pickguard!

11. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    ya im in the process of "stargrounding" the bass right now... hopefully it will go away after. Ill let you know when i have it done.